Help on Lake trout fishing

All fishing is depth and speed, and fishing where the fish are.

Typically this time of year the speed control for lakers is slow, 1.5-2.5MPH trolling typically...depth control is right on bottom out deeper, in less than 15-20ft you should fish all through the water column to find out what depth is best.  Where the fish are will depend on your area.  I find that there are usually two movements of lakers towards the shallows this time of year, one around 8-1030 or so, then again later in the afternoon.  This is the time you can find them in the shallows, depending on recent weather and the current light conditions. 

We've used cowbells for lakers but not really a big fan.  Spoons on riggers, dipsies, planers and single strand stainless wire is best for us...choose spoons that are designed to have action at the slow speeds.  Williams Trophy II, Flashers and Wabblers all have been money for us last couple years.  They are designed to have nice side to side at those slow speeds.

i use cowbells exclusively for lakers, never fish lakers without them.  i use hammerhead bells, and very seldom use spoons for them but when i do its a stinger (pearl trout or rainbow trout)  but mostly use rapala husky jerks HJ12 and HJ14's  colors (bue glass minnow) (clown) or similar with bright colors, i never use natural color rapala's for lakers.  also i never fish suspended lakers, i always fish 3 or 4 feet right off the bottom, and if the fishing is slow i start bouncing the ball on the bottom.