Electric Downrigger Install

Adk1

So I have been given an older set of Canon Electric Downriggers. I would say that they are mid to late 80's vintage. Dont know model yet. My islander came with an interesting connection for the previous electric big john riggers that it had it on. basically the previous owner wired using a 12GA standard lead cord to the battery I believe. Then he mounted a standard outlet strip to the bottom of his homemade downrigger bracket. he would simply plug the riggers into it. I want to do it the more conventional way. any thoughts? Also, the islander does not have a batter switch but does have one cranking battery and one deep cycle

If it were me I'd take it to a trust worthy marina where they do this stuff all the time and have it on a separate electrical block and fused. A lot of guys feel comfortable messing with electrical stuff but other than basic stuff I wouldn't take the chance especially with something that has already been previously jerry rigged. You may also want to make a close inspection of the electrical cables coming from the downrigger. I have replaced mine twice because of severe cracking from the UV rays.

I just bought 4 Mag 10's and was going to let the dealer install them on my new boat but have decided to do it myself. The manual says, "It is stronly recommended that a fuse or manual reset circuit breaker be installed at the battery on the positive lead of the power cable or that you connect the downrigger to a battery selector switch." I bought 2 Blue Sea Dual MRFB Terminal Fuse Blocks (30-300 amp) which attach to the positive battery terminals. I also have 2 deep cycles wired in series as a 24 volt system but I'm going to wire 2 downriggers to each individual battery effectively giving me 2 separate 12 volt  batteries for the downriggers yet maintaining the 24 volt system. Instructions are clear not to wire to 24 volts since the riggers are 12 volt riggers. I think the hardest part will be running the wires. I hope I'm doing this right and any advice is greatly appreciated.

http://www.bluesea.com/products/2151/Dual_MRBF_Terminal_Fuse_Block_-_30_to_300A

Unfortunately we do not have any marinas that I know of that have ever possibly installed electric riggers. Our lake is more of a lead line lake and only averages 30feet

If you connect the riggers to the first battery in the series you will get 12 volts ,but if you connect to the second one it will be 24.

As for wiring up your cannon riggers, The riggers themselves should come with wiring that has a special plug  and a second piece of wiring  that has the receiving end of that special plug and this should have the fuses installed inline. These plugs are made so they are water thight..From these wires you can run 12 or 10 gauge wire to your battery and you can use wiring cord that is normally used for outside in your garden or the heavy duty yellow construction cable.

I buy the yellow heavy duty construction cords which I buy at Lowes and then cut  to the size I need. This gives me very good water protection and usually,this way you get it cheaper than when you buy individual lines.

Edited by rolmops

Thanks for that advice rolmops...so as long as I wire the riggers to only one of the two batteries in the 24 volt system I should be OK? This guy silvertip says the same thing

http://forums.iboats.com/electrical-electronics-audio-trolling-motors/wiring-advice-24v-tm-12v-downrigger-328053.html

I know Silvertip and he knows his stuff. Take a good look at his picture and you will see that he uses ONLY the first battery for 12 volts.

• 1 month later...

Got the Canon riggers sat. Havent had time to really look at them. Only thing I know is that they are Canon..white and grey. Fixed booms. Swivel bases. They are mid 80's vintage  I would guess. Could they be the Mag 10's? Didnt take a pic yet will tonight

Ok thanks! Dang, dont see them listed in the Legacy section of canon's website. I need to get one of the matching swivel bases. One has one on it, the other doesnt...I guess they are Mag 104's?

Edited by Adk1