Cayuga 4/30

Fished with Livewire on the South east end of Cayuga today.  Caught a bunch of salmon  from 12" to 19"  One small laker about 3# and a 27" Pickeral  .   Got to close to the drop  :lol:   Had fun removing the lampries from several of the salmon.  There seems to be two year classes of these things.   Some were in the 12" range and others were smaller. :(   Great to be back on the water

Green shad , Orange shad, Green and yellow R&Rs were the ticket  3 1/4"  ers.

Edited by Big Dave

Fished south end also  this evening dodged 20 sailboats and a pile of Cornell crew. The temps were way down from Sunday.  Decided to head north along east shore. Seneca Special Flasher with UV fly landed a nice 28" laker full of alweives (6) that were about 5" long each .. am I using too small spoons or sticks?  Alpha Alewife also landed two smaller lakers. 70' down and 160 to 75 fow.  Temp was 41 degrees.     Dumb question but all those kids on the crew do not have life jackets on   exempt from NYS law???  If I dont wear one I surely will get ticketed  just saying....

Edited by wildjl

The law states " Boats under21' " My boat is 20'6" so I wear mine but it just makes sense with the cold weather. I put mine on if the waves are over 4' even if it is in the summer months. One stumble and you can be in the drink. They do not have to do very many search and rescues on people that have fallen overboard wearing a pfd's! Wes

Good point. I lost a buddy years back (who was also a charter captain) on Seneca because he wasn't wearing one in the summer time fishing by himself and when they found him in 8 ft of water his pants zipper was down so they thought he was just taking a wizz and slipped and hit his head when he went over....you never know....he was a very experienced fisherman...

Edited by Sk8man

Point being the water is very cold and muddy, the kids were who I was worried about. One slipped oar and a kid could get knocked out and gone. Yes I believe strongly in wearing a PFD.  Yes thanks again for the report Dave! Good fishing all!

they brake the ice to go out in those small boats! one day they will tip a boat of eight guys over and the 12' motor boat with the coach in it will pick them all up.

I don't see how but they are from Cornell. a whole different level of inteligence.

Thanks for the report Big Dave.