A tip to save you thousands

I just wanted to pass along a tip that could save you thousands of dollars in repairs. Check your outdrive's welch plug. It is like a freeze plug located on the side of the upper section (mine is on starboard side under mercruiser sticker.

It must have leaked last year and didn't realize it and the end result was having the lower unit welded, new bellows, shift cable and shaft bearing.

I was getting water in the bilge however it wasn't enough to trip the float switch and assumed it was due to rain or washing off the fish board.

I did not find out about this little $3 plug until I tested the boat this year and when I rev the engine (luckily still on trailer) water came rushing into the bilge through the shaft bearing. Got a new one hammered into place and no leaks after a 5 hour test run.

all these little things are good to know. thanks. nothing saves you more money than regular maintenance and listening to what other peaple say . none of us know it all.

This year she showed her age (1986) and wanted a complete overhaul. Along with the above repairs. She wanted a new steering system (cable, helm, and assist unit), new ignition system, and carburetor rebuild. I can't really complain as they lasted 27 years it just hurt the bank with all going bad at once (honestly steering been going for a couple years). Luckily I was able to do all the work myself. End result she runs like a top and increased top end speed on this pig to 42mph. I bet ill get better fuel economy too.

• 2 weeks later...