Lowrance wiring color codes

We're in the process of installing a Raymarine SPX-5 autopilot in my buddy's boat. I put the exact same unit in mine, so I'm familiar with the installation. However, he's hooking his to his LCX27C Lowrance rather than the fluxgate compass. I've located the NMEA-183 wires, but can't find any info on what colors are the in-out-+or-. Anyone know before I go through hassel of trying to talk to Lowrance. Thanks.. Sluggo (Chris)

Lowrance NMEA 0183

Transmit              Receive              Ground

Com 1                           Y                          Or                   shield

Com 2                            Bl                         Gr                   shield

Edited by mudflat

We're in the process of installing a Raymarine SPX-5 autopilot in my buddy's boat. I put the exact same unit in mine, so I'm familiar with the installation. However, he's hooking his to his LCX27C Lowrance rather than the fluxgate compass. I've located the NMEA-183 wires, but can't find any info on what colors are the in-out-+or-. Anyone know before I go through hassel of trying to talk to Lowrance. Thanks.. Sluggo (Chris)

He really should hook the AP up to both the Fluxgate Compass AND the GPS.  Why on earth wouldn't he want to hook the AP up to the fluxgate compass?

Can't help with the wire colors, the last Lowrance I owned was a 90's vintage LMS 350A.

He really should hook the AP up to both the Fluxgate Compass AND the GPS.  Why on earth wouldn't he want to hook the AP up to the fluxgate compass?

That's what I thought until I read the intructions. It said specifcally NOT to hook up the fluxgate compass if you're hooking up to an external GPS. Don't know why.. but maybe it gets confused with both inputs?

Thanks for the replys. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

That's odd, I have my Simrad AP14 hooked up to both the fluxgate compass and the NMEA 0183 wires connected to my Garmin GPS without any issues.

Raymarine must have a reason to recommend against it, but I can't imagine what.

Tim