x4-d showing surface speed?

i read  all the directions and  read about the x4-d on the  fish hawk site and others. And  it says  it will show surface speed.  But  i can not  get  myn  to change  over from reading depth to showing speed so does  it and  i am just  not  getting  it  or what?   If anyone knows  how  to get  it  to show   let  me know!!  

thanks 

They made it that way . Was going to buy one to replace my sub-troll until I read that , If they continue to make the x4 I will go for that . The depth feature is ok but not necessary in my IMHO . The surface speed helps in reading cross currents etc not something I want to be without.

Edited by bigblue

I have one of these as well. I contacted Fish Hawk with this same question. Here is their response...

"The X4D does not display surface speed. We use the same transducer for the regular X4, we leave the wheel in place because we want everything that is mounted to the boat permanently to be forward and backward compatible, so service and upgrades down the road can be done without drilling new holes in the boat"

One would assume it has all the features of the X4 plus the addition of depth at the probe.....their advertising needs to state that it does not have surface speed.  

OK, I don't own one and assumed it would have both.  I used to own an old FH 840 years ago and it had both. 

No loss really, IMO, surface speed and temp are really a superfluous and useless marketing gimmick anyway, since I'm not fishing on the surface and that info is readily available on most fishfinders if you really want it.

Tim

For my surface speed I use my gps, it is basically the same thing. Down speed can be anything while your ground speed is usually constant whether from a paddle or GPS.  

I would rather have surface speed than probe depth for the help of identifying currents as one assumes that speed at the transducer measures speed the same as at the probe.  SOG from GPS isn't helpful as a replacement for the surface speed.  If you don't have too much blowback you can turn up the gain and see where your riggers are tracking anyways with the regular X4. 

Edited by AnglingAddict

I have one of these as well. I contacted Fish Hawk with this same question. Here is their response...

"The X4D does not display surface speed. We use the same transducer for the regular X4, we leave the wheel in place because we want everything that is mounted to the boat permanently to be forward and backward compatible, so service and upgrades down the road can be done without drilling new holes in the boat"

One would assume it has all the features of the X4 plus the addition of depth at the probe.....their advertising needs to state that it does not have surface speed.  

Dang them!!    id rather go back to the x4  now lol     And  for those  who say  surface  speed isn't  a factor,   brown fishing  is a really critical time  for knowing your  surface speed.  and   gps  is  nice to get  you in the ballpark,  but  something with the currents  you could  be screaming your lures going one direction and  not  even realize it  if you only paid attention  to gps  speed and  not  your  actual speed over the water.   as well as  if you are trying to work  some  surface  steelies and they are  wanting  a specific speed.  

So I guess for now  I will put my  proble on a rigger down one foot so I can get  surface  speed!

now why wouldn't they make  it  be able to switch back and forth from rigger depth to showing surface speed like the old unit's.  that  puzzles me  especially when  the  transducer is reading the information. 

If your looking for surface currents, then run your probe down 2-4'. Since that is where your unweighted plugs will be running. There are numerous times that there is no surface currents, but just a couple feet below the surface there is a current. So even if you have surface speed, you still would not see it. Another thing to remember, those paddle wheels on the surface can get screwed up a lot easier with debris, etc so they are not as reliable as your actual probe. I have the new x4d, and love it so far, I always put the probe down, even if it is just a couple feet. Good luck!!

Capt Rich

yup, even trolling the shoreline for browns, I'll have the probe rigger down 2-4 feet usually with a light flutterspoon on it back 60-80'

other than that particular situation, I really couldn't care less what the surface speed is  I can't remember the last time I even looked at GPS SOG while trolling other than to compare it to my down speed.

I'm not using a Fish Hawk BTW, I'm running a Depth Raider, which I've been much happier with than the POS FH840 I used to own

Tim

since   i couldnt  figure  out if  it had  surface speed that  is what  i was doing was  just running the proble down 2 feet  but it  is nice to have the option  of  not  having  to put the probe  down.    

But other than that it has been a pretty  nice  unit.   the  depth  it definitely  interesting to see at times.  

I just added the X4D this year and am very happy, to say the least. I screwed with Cannon and Depth Raider for a number of years. As said above, X4D does not have surface speed. It uses the surface speed location for ball depth. I use my FF for surface speed but, I really don't much care what the surface speed is. The depth sensor was the trigger for me. Mine is pretty much dead-on. I was over 90 FOW with the depth sensor reading 88.  A minute later, I saw the boom bounce and found the FF was saying the depth was now 88 feet. No guessing about how blow-back affects ball depth. It tells you the actual depth of your ball. It is well worth the extra cost to me.