transducer question

waller

bought another finder (lowrance) to enhance the ol' hummbird i got - g.p.s. etc. i wanna keep the old one cause it's a pain to remove and still works. Question is can i mount the transducer from the new one  beside the ol' one or will the signals the transducers emit clash with each other and screw up the readings? on the receivers.

o.k. i read some older threads and other advice on the web - quite a common question - It seems that as long as the frequencies are quite different from each other there will be no cross talking between units. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's what I did I just left the old transducer/impeller on and left the electrical and transducer wiring intact but disconnected. If my Lowrance should conk out I could just hook the wires up to my Impulse and at the battery end and I'm back in business.I do have a separate panel installed on my transom for my transducers so I can move them around if necessary too and  only have the 2 screw holes on the transom to deal with if I ever take it off.

Thanks for the tips.  Can't seem to find the frequency of the ol' humminbird, so i just mounted the new one a few inches from the old one and I'll just run one at a time if I gotta. Be nice  to have two monitors to watch tho!! :rofl:

There are times when it could be double the frustration (as when marking them but they won't hit ) :)

Edited by Sk8man

Even different frequencies can conflict.  It depends on what they are.  It's complicated and even Humminbird tech does not know what's what.  I have a top end Humminbird now, and a second transducer for my Cannon probe, and deeply regret giving up my Furuno system.  Hummingbird stuff is all screwed up in my opinion, but it does help some to upgrade the firmware from their web site.  Furuno is the best...actually works predictably if you have through hull or shoot thru transducer.  Transom mount is a compromise and difficult to make work under all conditions, in my experience.  Live and learn.... 

:yes:  The Furunos are what most of the "big boys" on the ocean use but the price tag keeps them out of reach for a lot of us sport fishermen....great units though

Edited by Sk8man

Even different frequencies can conflict.  It depends on what they are.  It's complicated and even Humminbird tech does not know what's what.  I have a top end Humminbird now, and a second transducer for my Cannon probe, and deeply regret giving up my Furuno system.  Hummingbird stuff is all screwed up in my opinion, but it does help some to upgrade the firmware from their web site.  Furuno is the best...actually works predictably if you have through hull or shoot thru transducer.  Transom mount is a compromise and difficult to make work under all conditions, in my experience.  Live and learn.... 

Saying Humminbird stuff is all screwed up is such a false statement. Yes, we are on the 'Bird staff, so I am a tad bit biased, but I have guys who run Furunos and Raymarine units who bauk at how great the HB units mark on our ride. 

We don't have any other transducers except a thru-hull on our boat, so interference is never an issue. If you using an old Cannon Probe isn't that a coated cable type probe? I didn't think anyone but Fish Hawk used transducers to grab a signal.

I'd be more than willing to help you with your 'Bird to get it running right.

Sorry...I misstated  my case.  It's not the Humminbird... I think the problem for me is the fact that I went to 2 transom mount transducers because I decided on the side scan.  The main transducer frequency escapes my memory, but the transducer that the probe reads is 125mz.  It seems to be OK now, after upgrading the firmware, but when waves are from behind, I lose the bottom signal from the splashing action at the transducer.  Not the fault of the Humminbird.  The unit is fine with a very good screen and the nav features are excellent.  I can build a course according to depth contours and download to the autohelm.  Too easy...fish don't have a chance.   I would have never settled for transom mount, but no other choice for side scan technology when I bought my unit.

Sorry about blaming the Humminbird...it's all about transom mout. 

More on the probe...

I got the newest cannon riggers and opted for the latest cannon probe, which is now obsolete.  I don't know why they stopped making it because it seems to have solved the problems with the earlier model. I have three of the units in the box, which will maybe last as long as I need it.  It is a fabulous system for tracking bottom and for cycling the rigger up and down...works great.  I also have a spare "cannon link" set up which can be controlled from the screen that I no longer use...it's easier for me to use the digital screen on the rigger.