Spring fishing for salmon/ trout

I am new to the salmon fishing on the Big-O as my buddy and I just purchased a boat. Its all rigged, as we did some fall salmon fishing, but we still have a lot to learn. Anyways, if you guys could offer some information as to what month to start fishing? where to go ? and what tackle and bait to use? I appreciate all of your info, Thanks, and good luck fishing in the coming year!

It all depends on what you want to target. For Salmon, look to the West end of the lake in May. The Niagara Bar area kicks butt for kings in May. If you want browns, try the East end in April & May. Fair Haven, Oswego, Mexico and others are fantastic places to get out early in the year after trout.

As far as tackle goes, your standard flasher/fly setups and spoons will take Kings all spring in the West end. For browns in the East you'll want to look into some stickbaits like KA-BOOM shiners, Rapala's, Smithwick's, etc as well as spoons. They're two totally different styles of fishing, so just plan which you're going to target and then put together the tackle that you'll need.

slapshot

my advice to you is to browse this site as much as possible and try to absorb what you can. there is probably a post on everything you could possibly need to know. once the fishing starts (late march) continue to check the fishing reports and see what guys are doing. guys will post where, what, when, how, and why. also a marine radio tuned to your ports favorite channel is a great tool while on the water.

hate to send ya packing but go to www.attheoak.com and find post by "total team chaos" and there is some good details there.

Brian (Total Chaos) has lots of good stuff on his website. He used to have a great, very active message board too untill the dirtbag spammers/hackers screwed with it one too many times and he scrapped it.

http://www.fishsalmonriver.com/totalchaos/

Tim

• 1 month later...

If Capt.Ron shares 10% of what he knows most of us will benifit a lot from him and his fishing tech.and if you spend unuf time watching what goes on out on the lake like one boat all alone is catching fish and the 27 in the pack cant get em to fire ya might be on to something.if i had a dollar for everytime someone driving my boat started heading for the PACK cause "there must be fish there "id have a newer boat by now,...

I wish someone could tape these seminars and make them available for people like me that can't make the seminars. Henrietta is something like 5+ hours driving for me so I'll miss this one also. I missed "Billy V's" presentation also and with the VERY limited amount I know about the Trout and Salmon fishing in Lake Ontario, I sure could use the help in the knowledge department.

Ray, when we going fishing?

Steve

my pond or yours ,see what this week does to the ice at the launches really need 4or 5 days to get rid of snow cover and gentle winds so the water can warm up some near shore to start setting up bait better .. i want to tune the moter and get a new kicker and tinker with a few areas of the boat before getting out again. but what i want and what i do are two different animals .should be on seneca this weekend ...