RUFF RIDER May 3-5 Hudson River Striper Report

Looks like we'll get another beautiful weekend on the mighty hudson river! Going to start a bit deeper today in 40+fow. Slack tide right now (high).

2013-05-03_07-35-24_280.jpg

Good luck to those fishing Lady O this weekend!

Nick

Hey Nick,

It's hard to tell from the pic which bridge that it and which direction?.  I know it isn't the Walkway :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Ahhh Ok thanks. They hitting the bloodworms on bottom? Was wondering about using large nightcrawlers or even small "tubes" if having trouble locating bait? I've never river fished for them just in the ocean....

Edited by Sk8man

Bloodworms down 15-20ft over 35fow seems to be working well. Nightcrawlers will work if the river isn't too muddy. Lots more schoolies, but Theresa finally hit a nicer one!

2013-05-03_09-32-23_614.jpg

Trench, yeah we like that flat just north of the bridge at high tide too. Only problem on outgoing tide is you either need to anchor or constantly move back up river to avoid hitting the bridge.

No need to stop on the ripping tide. On the coast we anchor up in front of bridge pilings and fish the water right in front of them. The current break will hold fish there. just be prepared to do battle with the piling after you hook up. Some guys rig the anchor so it could be dropped (like tuna fishing) and chase the fish down river after they hook up. Don't over look the obvious structure. I always did well casting storm shads and other various lead heads with soft plastics. Skip the worms and your likely to get larger fish.

Spike

Sk8 I've done that from shore and it works. Jigging in general I dont find relaxing though... nothing more relaxing than drifting with bait out and your bail open, just waiting for it to start screaming!

I'd love to try drifting bait for kings this year!

Sometimes you just need to suck it up and admit your wife is a better fisherwoman than you! At least I can say I tought her everything she knows!

2013-05-04_07-53-15_219.jpg

2013-05-04_07-53-46_293.jpg

Edited by bobs_boy

Thanks Al! Do you plan on getting out soon?

I probably wont be able to get out until July. :(    We've been working 12 hr days and it probably wont slow down until then. Yuck!!!  I keep my eye on the reports to keep me sane.   Looking forward to your reports. Talk to you soon.