Conesus Saturday / Who's Going?

Captain Larry - we're thinking of targeting pike/musky for the first time (catch & release), just for something different.  If we hit Conesus in the next few weeks on a weekday morning, what's the esox for dummies approach? All I know is to work the edges for bass and hope for the best...

Larry - thanks again for the invite today to fish with you on Conesus.  I had a blast despite the fishing being a bit on the slow side.  The lake looks like it is setting up nicely though and I'd expect the fishing to pick up there in the next week or two.  Trout & Salmon for me tomorrow on the big pond.  Good luck to those who get out!

Chad, Today it was nice just to be on the water in itself.Follows--follows--follows,guess its better then not seeing them at all.Maybe we can get out again soon.

Mortigan,I'm actualy a novice at Conesus myself,north end and south end mostly 7 to 10 ft water in areas of bait fish.

Steve, My wife ended up with concrete scrapes and some bruises, but no broken bones.She will be sore for a few days for sure.Sorry we had to cut the day short, but was not sure if she needed to make a hospital trip.Xrays, nothing broken, only her spirit.Maybe we can get out again soon!

I haven't been out yet. my history in may is I see a lot of fish and don't catch much. i'll be at Otisco next Saturday;hoping the warm weather will get 'em going. hey mortigan;working the edges for bass will get you esox at conesus,if they're in the mood. try the bay at the launch;one of the best spots on the lake.

old man, Yes the water temp on the southern end around the inlet was only 50 degrees.But the north end around the outlet down the nottheast bouey line was 60.5 degrees.All the follows were close to the drop or coming off very shallow 3 ft water on the south end.I'll be back to Conesus Lake next Saturday again.

I tried Conesus again last night and only ended up with more bass....some pretty big ones too if I we're targeting bass I would've been pretty happy haha. North end was 60 degrees, I worked the NE side from 3 fow following it out along the east side break with 3 largemouth coming on my 8" big game twitcher.

Some areas like McPherson had a lot of vegetation but it looked more like the stuff that over-wintered so im not sure how effective working that would be but I put my time in with no results. Before I called it I moved out to some deeper water structure...found some nice points with sharp drops and fished the 15-20 fow adjacent to 30-40+ fow with no results but thats where I was marking the big hooks sitting down about 10-12 ft under bait schools. If I we're able to go back again i'd bring a bondy or two with me and put more time into spots like that again

Tracy and I caught one ok tiger at Otisco, approximatey three feet.  We forgot to put the big net on the boat so I couldnt bring it up to measure and get good pics.  Tracy did get 2 pics if we can figure out to post them I will.  Caught it trolling the west side points...had 3 rods out for musky and 5 on walleye, tho we didnt get any eyes

looks like everyone had similar experiences. fished conesus hard all weekend with very little to show for it. bunch of follows, a couple of which were total slobs and a few bass. we ended up caving and soaked some shiners toward the end which got us a couple small pike and a bullhead. tough fishin but gorgeous weekend and the beer was cold

We fished so hard Saturday for 1 fish that Sunday my son and I spent the whole middle of the day on some nice bass.  First time Ive fished for largemouths on Otisco and I was surprised how many nice 3+ lb fish, and the largest about 5lb.  Great weather and a great  start to the season.

justin

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know much but based off last weekend, imo trolling those suspended schools of bait out in open water seems to be the deal until the water heats up more driving those tigers shallow. Best luck if ya get out today Larry. That buoy line seemed to be a mid/late June thing when I used to mess with em

Edited by zach

I keep having a tough time at Conesus Lake trying to figure the tigers out.I marked more big hooks out in 45 ft of water 25ft down then anywhere else but could not get them to go.The water temp was back down to 58 degrees.I will try Otisco Lake on Monday before the NY Muskies 69 meeting.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by mostlymuskies