Expert advice welcomed!

Hello Fellow fishermen

Looks like  its picking up out there,finally was able to get my new boat out today for a trial run,I was able to get three

rods in while trying to steer and set up my fish finder in between the gusts of wind,finally things settled down.I was using two stick baits and one lure,I was marking fish in 20-30 FOW just east around off the shore line of Oswego Harbor,.wasn't getting any hits and wondering if my bait was getting down far enough,when I reeled the lines in it semed they

were kind of shallow,I added another twist sinker 1/4 oz I think. Like to know what every one else is doing when flat linning

my DWR'S arn't ready to go yet.I know there are ways to tie on different waits,so I thought I would ask the experts.Im also

wondering what is the choice of lure that is catching fish.All help is deeply appreciated.

Thanks

If you start listening to the experts you will need to put out another 50 rods ,because that is how many different expert opinions you will get

If you start listening to the experts you will need to put out another 50 rods ,because that is how many different expert opinions you will get

I know, but I love to here every ones opinions,and then I pick up some wisdom along the way to,lol

The water all over the place is being reported as very clear so you may want to run your lines further back and run a little deeper water. The fish you are marking in that depth may or may not be trout for one thing.  When I use weight I usually just place one or two (at most) #3 split shot about 2 or three ft above the lure. Unless you are running very fast this should keep you well beneath the surface. Light line is also a good idea (8-10 lb) for most situations with a fluorocarbon leader (6-8 ft long) and very small swivel snap.

Mark Rommanack has published dive charts for a ton of different sticks, along with snap weight depths, dipsey charts, and various other aids for controlled depth fishing.

This is not an opinion, this is a fact...........

Spoons off the downriggers, stick baits off the boards, long leads, stealth presentation w/ flocarbon leader 10-12 lb test. Shallow in the morning (6-10 ft) of H2O. Take it deeper as the sun comes up.Always troll with the sun at your stern early and late. Natural colors unless in stained waters. Only takes a few doubles and a full cooler and you'll get it right. Good Luck

Buy Dan Keating's books on Great Lakes Trolling and Keating on Kings. Twenty bucks each and well worth the price in knowledge, The guy is good and the books are very easy reading.

All you really need to know is speed, depth and temp. Changes your speeds and your depth....you will trigger more bites with these moves.....know your basic color...start with orange and white sticks...then natural colors......then blues and purples....don't be afraid to run mini dypsy on your top lines....you got to think outside the box....what works for one guy might not work for another...

RM -

1. When pulllng plugs, make sure they're tuned properly.  They should wobble just as must to the right as they do to the left.  Bending the eyelet just a hair can make a big difference.  Test them next to the boat with about 6-8 ft of line out.  Check them on both sides of the boat for best view. 

2. Also always tie on a flouro leader 8-12 Lb test, longer than 8 ft.

3. "When in doubt, let it out."  Don't be afraid to let it back 100 ft or more.  Copoly lines have less stretch than mono, if you can't keep them hooked.

4. (and probably should be first) Speed, Speed, Speed.  Zig-zag - experiment with speed. 

5. Stay clear of other boats & experiment with direction.  Don't get caught up in the "frenzy" that the fish are only in 20 FOW. 

H.I.H.

Tom B.

(LongLine)