Well, got everything in the boat yesterday & picked up a season’s pass at the Rec Office yesterday so was all prep’d to get an early start today.  Hit the launch solo at 5 am.  Got a lot of pix but they didn’t turn out. ….oh, well…guess the camera wasn’t awake yet.  Seems strange having all that open water there.

Headed out & took a left.  63.5F in the main current but soon dropped to 54F then down to 45F.  Slight East wind.  Clear sky, looked like a little less than ½ moon.  Engine purring like a kitten but wouldn’t tilt/trim. 

Anyways…Went out to 65 FOW & put them in.  2 rigg’rs and a port side board.  Love it when you got everything in, 1st coffee poured and then see this:

5-4-13_zpsaf9092a1.jpg

Headed North but not much on screen.  Temp fairly uniform.  Decided after an hour to speed it up a little & got a small bow on a pink Long-A off the board over about 110 FOW. 

Ran a few zig-zags/circles and had 2 more releases on the rigg’rs but asleep at the switch.  Continued the trek North.  About 145, Board fires again.  Decided I’d better bring up the starboard rigg’r so I reach over, pop it loose & get it back in the holder.  As soon as I start left handed cranking the rigg’r that rod fires.  Yikes!  Okay, concentrate on the first one.  Get him in the net & it’s a Laker. 

I now remember why I don’t really like treble hooks, especially 3 of them on the same lure!  2 points in the fish, 7 points in the net!  Got the 2nd fish to the boat but couldn’t shake the 1st out of the net.  Talk about a cluster humper!  Decided to take a chance & net the 2nd with the 1st still in net….

5-4-13Double_zps88039ebc.jpg

Heh, heh, heh.

(2nd one hit a King of Stng, popped loose from a 30 ft rigg’r)  All fish going at very close to 3 mph (down speed)

So where was I fishing????  Here I am…

5-4-13WhereamI_zps31e75aef.jpg

(Just west of Russell station)

Continued out to 220FOW then back in to 120.    Only fish I marked were below 120 ft down, but they were huge.  Maybe a dozen other boats out there.  Was a beautiful day to be on the water.  Off at 11 as that’s enough sunburn for the day.

Luck to all,

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom,

Great to hear your reports again - as always I love your pics and narrative that tell the story of your mornings. Congrats on the fish. We launched today but didn't get a chance to fish b/c my brother had to be back early so we just focused on getting things set up for the year.

Next weekend we will be at it for the first time this year.

Good luck on the water and be safe and thanks for sharing!!

Chris

Well, got everything in the boat yesterday & picked up a season’s pass at the Rec Office yesterday so was all prep’d to get an early start today.  Hit the launch solo at 5 am.  Got a lot of pix but they didn’t turn out. ….oh, well…guess the camera wasn’t awake yet.  Seems strange having all that open water there.

Headed out & took a left.  63.5F in the main current but soon dropped to 54F then down to 45F.  Slight East wind.  Clear sky, looked like a little less than ½ moon.  Engine purring like a kitten but wouldn’t tilt/trim. 

Anyways…Went out to 65 FOW & put them in.  2 rigg’rs and a port side board.  Love it when you got everything in, 1st coffee poured and then see this:

5-4-13_zpsaf9092a1.jpg

Headed North but not much on screen.  Temp fairly uniform.  Decided after an hour to speed it up a little & got a small bow on a pink Long-A off the board over about 110 FOW. 

Ran a few zig-zags/circles and had 2 more releases on the rigg’rs but asleep at the switch.  Continued the trek North.  About 145, Board fires again.  Decided I’d better bring up the starboard rigg’r so I reach over, pop it loose & get it back in the holder.  As soon as I start left handed cranking the rigg’r that rod fires.  Yikes!  Okay, concentrate on the first one.  Get him in the net & it’s a Laker. 

I now remember why I don’t really like treble hooks, especially 3 of them on the same lure!  2 points in the fish, 7 points in the net!  Got the 2nd fish to the boat but couldn’t shake the 1st out of the net.  Talk about a cluster humper!  Decided to take a chance & net the 2nd with the 1st still in net….

5-4-13Double_zps88039ebc.jpg

Heh, heh, heh.

(2nd one hit a King of Stng, popped loose from a 30 ft rigg’r)  All fish going at very close to 3 mph (down speed)

So where was I fishing????  Here I am…

5-4-13WhereamI_zps31e75aef.jpg

(Just west of Russell station)

Continued out to 220FOW then back in to 120.    Only fish I marked were below 120 ft down, but they were huge.  Maybe a dozen other boats out there.  Was a beautiful day to be on the water.  Off at 11 as that’s enough sunburn for the day.

Luck to all,

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I recognize a 70HP mid 80's Evinrude anywhere. Looks like the same as my Dads boat

Tom,

Nice report and pics....the old "trebles in the net syndrome" looked familiar  as well :lol: