Mr clean's Fair Haven Report

Im quite confident that by the end of April we should have ice out particularly in the bay. My concern as it always is in the Spring is floating ice that does drift throughout the GL system. However this year I have a higher concern for it. First off I am no meterologist lol. but its no secret the great lakes (system of lakes) is 90 percent frozen over. If you look at the sat images you see Ontario is pretty much that 10%  portion of not so frozen over,  which makes sense because its the deepest lake of the system. Sure Michigan might not have ice out in April, Maybe not erie but once they do break up floating ice will be a problem and I could see that....effecting us as well so basically I am paranoid out there (so to speak lol) until mid May for floating ice plus you know when we get a hard winter like this has been debre as well floats around maybe a little more this year than last....we shall see.

Hey my little boat could be an ice breaker but honestly and I am serious I believe someone stole my boat the third week in November because it is gone...It was where I always kept it turned upside down then it was gone just like that. I looked all over lol I mean ALL OVER LOL...The marina didnt touch it and I cant think of any reason it would have even been moved. My only thought is locals snagged it because of the aluminium ?? but if anyone in the bay sees the mpd boat cleaner skiff thats mine lol....It is a sentimental boat to the bay, its an original from the boathouse marina back in the 50's and it should remain where it was......hopefully there is some logical conclusion and it will show up lol..

Its funny ive snowboarded/skied as long as I fished I gotta be honest I love em both and its a good thing they are in separate seasons lol...Im a guide during the Winter. I take people on snowboard/ski trips. Heres a vid from last weeks back country trip.

But I think we should be looking good toward the end of the month...at least a start anyway....

Edited by mrclean

Well I went up today and there is ice like ive never seen it...

1959823_3976091018600_729956546_n.jpg

If you look in the distance that is all ice. The photo was taken well beyond the normal shoreline from the pier...

534403_3976090938598_241439516_n.jpg

This is very thick ice it mels some during the day but refreezes and is actually expanding at night. If you look in the distance you see blue but I could see a steady line of white well beyond indicating a hole if you will meaning it is still frozen out deeper....

1975203_10151916380866290_65424830_n.jpg

Im thinkin mid April, the bay is still fully froze I would be concerned even after "iceout" because I would think serious debre as well.....stay tuned I guess...

Edited by mrclean

Yes thanks Mr clean, if you can walk out there with an auger and give us a ice thickness report..don't forget to set up some tilts.😉

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by bobbyg

Yes thanks Mr clean, if you can walk out there with an auger and give us a ice thickness report..don't forget to set up some tilts.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lol heck they are still full force out in the bay. There are tents just inside the chute to the right in about what I conceive to be about 20 feet deep area. Plus they are still running sleds from one end of the bay to the other. the chute was completely froze over absolutely no water movement whatsoever....

Here is Fair Havens NOAA weather..

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=43.31645962500045&lon=-76.70216963999968&site=all&smap=1#.UynaUIWTYZw

Its gonna have to really warm up to move this stuff...

Mr. Clean,

What a difference a day makes!  I just returned home from Rochester, and came home via Lake Road from Irondequoit Bay to Sodus Bay.

There is NO flow ice to be seen on the lake from Irondequoit Bay to east of Pultneyville!  Irondequoit Bay channel, Bear Creek, and Sodus Bay channel are all wide open!  There is still some flow ice east of Sodus Bay.

Of course, a good north wind could bring it all back.

Jim