Mr clean's Fair Haven Report

• 3 weeks later...

I couldnt figure out why boat cleaner sales went thru the roof as of Friday. Welp this report kinda explains that.

Fishing was moderate around Fair Haven this weekend. Most charters came in with 2-3 small to mid size browns. The largest I saw was 7lbs. But the real issue was the black flys. They coated everything from downriggers, nets etc,,, The worst its been in years......Most of the decks coming back were black..

Of course they were gone this am. Ill start fishing this weekend...For now I just hang back and watch my buddies protecting the eggs...

11063472_10200360460612027_5924480236821

It's been many years since I've fished up there and the information is truly helpful. I cannot wait for the first release to pop! The only information that we had was from Screwy Lewey!

Lol yea in the old days you would have to go down to the house where the shop was and louie he would be going on and on and on about where they were and what they were hittin on....Lol....

Lol that was also the era of the NK 28's and Mags lol..Herring he used to sell a lot of lol...Sandy was awesome...she would always defer the fishin info to louie lol....then shed walk back into the house so she wouldn't have to hear it over and over again cause people kept coming in as soon as they pulled into town lol...

Edited by mrclean

When we first started coming up Louis was pretty secretive about giving out information! Once we gained his trust we'd walk in and ask what they were biting on. He would walk over to the shelf and pick out some spoons for us! Caught my biggest King on one made locally called Monkey Puke...lol a young guy bought Screwey Louis last time I was up there. is it still there?

Ohhh they still work. The nice thing about em is they have a great speed range. Which helps with the lower currents at times. They swag good at 1 - almost 6 mph and attract salmon etc....And those hooks once they are set they are pretty difficult to shake....

Soon as I get out Ill run em for browns and I use sticks too. Raps jointed perch is really a good one for me.....Lol Btw happy birthday to this thread its actually 2 years old today, 50k hits pretty good info in here. Great job to everyone who contributed and followed along...

But I pretty much still use em regularly with moderate results....Lol...I felt like im behind cause usually shes in the water.  But i went out about this time last year so maybe I can pull it off and get par for last year by this weekend lol...

Edited by mrclean

Yea Brendan has done a great job since he took it over. Its now right there on main street a nice log cabin style building cant miss it. When it was first put up it was a wanna be restaurant that quickly turned pizza shop primarily because Guizeppes right across the street really had the local business at that time. It lasted maybe two seasons before Louie moved in there.  After abit he decided he wanted out. He always wanted to go to FL...and they finally did...

But yea Brendan has done well with it imo....Nice little cabins you can rent, hes got all the stuff and he knows what to do lol...

Can you say "Mud Chicken" lol....cause thats basically whats happening around Fair Haven lol...

This week has been a steady diet of Lake trout. 150 feet out , allllll the way down...Some were in the 15 to 18 lb range...An occasional atlantic shows up but its all lakers. Water has been clear and we still need a shakeup....That being said lets see what this week brings....

10931037_10200353836286423_1397936877251

Edited by mrclean

I was out for a few hours late yesterday afternoon; mostly for a shakedown cruise, but I did poke a couple rods out. Could only muster one little brown and a bass, both on a reddish gold rapala. I was inshore in about 17 FOW and didn't go out far as t-storms were rolling in. The water was gin clear. But after last nights storms and the wind blowing all day today there's a nice mud line out there. Just need the waves the drop down a bit so I can get back out there. Hope to see you at the marina.

-Steve D

Fishing out of Fair Haven this past weekend was touch and go.  I had my two parents on baord for the FH 321 tournament while my 2 daughters were fishing with Joe "Windtunnel".

On Saturday I had hoped that the rain would have muddied the water a little to the west and powered out that way setting up in 15' of water with the usual sticks and spoons.  We worked our way in by Black creek swamp to shallow water and had 2 hits and misses on  a nuclear pickel stick and my daughter's stoplight spoon (orange and green).  After seeing no color and seeing no action on other boats (almost to Port Bay) we turned out for deeper water to see what we could find.  We were thinking of running to the laker area off of the chute and slightly east, but were afraid of passing up fish along the way so we trolled our way over (big mistake).  Joe and my girls were having nonstop action on the lakers in 80 - 130 feet of water bouncing the bottom and we got into it when we finally got over there with a one hour time frame left to fish and still get in through the chute to make weigh in for the tournament. 

The girls and Joe only kept 2 bleeders and one that they would use to weigh in at 11lbs 12oz.

Our biggest was 7lbs and 9oz.

We heard that there was a big box weighed in for the tournament and had our work cut out to have any chance the next day.  My parents and I headed east and found an area of warmer water that we worked and worked and then right before the fog rolled in my mother hooked into a great acrobatic steelhead that went in the net and the hook popped out.  A little while later my father fought his first spring king (he usually does not go out in the spring because he gets cold very easy) and put it in the box at just shy of 11lbs.  Both came off of dipsies with  stoplights.  We had a couple more tugs but then we were concerned about how thick the fog was so we had to abandon the area to make our way back to the chute to get in before 1:30.

Unfortunately, the girls and Joe did not have the luck they were having the day prior and were also concerned about the thick fog so headed back for safety reasons (they almost got t-boned by a speedboat near the chute who was on plane in the fog).   They had a great time though talking about what they were going to use and planning out the days - having breakfast at Turtle Cove with Joe before fishing each day did not hurt their experience either.

Congratulations to Gray Fox for their win in the tournament with a huge box - great guys to boot.

All in all it was a good weekend and the 321 tournament was a success.  We are looking forward to the July 321 tournament on July 18 and 19 and more information can be found on the tournament talk link. 

post-146659-0-63072900-1432069164_thumb.jpg

post-146659-0-02992400-1432069639_thumb.jpg

Edited by Morgan-E

Well I was going to go today but with the sc advisory and stiff west wind I said nei nei lol...

However one charter came in with some nice browns to add something to the bucket. Lets see what tomorrow morning brings.

Tomorrow mornings probably going to bring some nicer lake conditions but still going to be bumpy. 14 to 17 knots NW now subsiding to 10 to 13 knots W after midnight. According to NOAA anyways. So you got about a 50/50 shot their right. Maybe even less than that.

10423730_10200435916498377_8099258182040

Stay by the grille, forget it nothing going on out there lol. I went yesterday and worked what was left of the mud line. the south winds blew it up.I found fish in 12 feet (browns) but they were on the bottom in one huge school. basically they were stagnant . Only three lakers came in today. I guess its a holiday for the fish lol. Maybe this week it will change.....maybe....

Fished Sat and Sun weather was beautiful.Fished 30ft to 200ft. 1-1 Sat laker 7-8lb on a Savant spoon rainbow smelt. dn 35 over 65.Sun 3-3 1 laker 7-8lb froggy fishlander spoon on a mono dipsey 135 back on #3. over 75 ft. A 5-6 lb steelie on a kaboom stick bait 0ver 135. and a small king on a fishlander green/orange dn 32 over 100ft. Marked very few fish and only 1-2 small bait pods. Fish buckets at marina almost empty slow for all.

• 2 weeks later...

Woke up Sat morning to a rough lake no fishing. Several charters tried to go out turned and came back in.

Wind didn't die die dn till late afternoon. Instead of going out to fish the lake we went out into the bay to fish for alwifes bay is loaded with them now. Caught about a hundred in an hour or so of fishing. now have enough cut bait for the year.

One charter went out did well 6 browns with on pushing 14 LB all on stick bait on the mud line.

bumpy ride. Fish out to 150 very few marks and very little bait.Ended up 1-1 a laker. Radio was very dead.

Charters got some browns early but the bite didn't last to long. I hope we get some better  weather so the lake starts to warm

post-139582-0-15344800-1433732140_thumb.jpg

post-139582-0-85678300-1433732444_thumb.jpg

post-139582-0-34289800-1433732787_thumb.jpg

post-139582-0-00256200-1433733314_thumb.jpg