Mr clean's Fair Haven Report

This is a more advanced brine that works great for low quality baits that have been thawed and refrozen several times or for baits that are going to be trolled.  This brine will keep ten to twelve dozen herring cured for up to a week in the refrigerator.

Advanced Bait Brine:

2 ½ gallons of water
3 tablespoons Mrs Stewarts Liquid Bluing
4 cups non iodized salt (canning/pickling)
1 cup powdered milk
2 tablespoons of pure anise or garlic
UV Liquid and/or Pautzke Liquid Krill

This recipe works well or you can just cover them in pickling salt use lots of salt. that what we did with that batch.and freeze them.

Its been hit or miss basically slow. Charter captns are bringing in lakers one day , small salmon and browns the next day. Your in the right range and area thats for sure.  Today the fog setup seriously lol. It actually shot down the bay just like in the movie "the fog" lol. This weeks weather should stir things up though.

Picked up a laker yesterday in 145' of water, orange and silver spoon. Had some fun with fresh water drum in the bay while awaiting the fog to lift. Thanks for your help! It felt great to be out on the lake trolling again. God willing I'll be back in August, if not next spring. The view of the bluffs while trolling is just awesome!

Well this is about the only thing ive caught so far..

1981781_10200523390565174_12816444823183
A nice view lol. Ive been nursing a break in period for a new lower unit  and I went out the other night and fished 30 fow for about an hour just for laughs lol. Were gonna give it a little more of an effort this weekend. But slow its been, that will change...

Edited by mrclean

Well this my first trip report of the year. Primarily because ive been nursing a break in period for a new lower unit I had installed. That being said fishing has been slow and spotty. But I figure today would be the day since yesterdays blow and recent rains should have stirred things up abit.

Traffic was heavy today on the water particularly with the "wounded warriors" fishing day and a tournament out of Oswego. Most were in around 170 with not much to report. I chose to head out and fish "the hole" just outside the chute because I still am breaking in the lower unit.

Once there I pretty much threw back my silver and green slammer about 120 feet and dropped the rigger ball down to 5 ft. It didnt take long. The line ripped hard, first I thought it was a big laker but it kept running, We fought hard for about 10 minutes or so. Once he was in the boat I played around for about another hour then headed in. Nice way to start the season.

Thanks guys, The hole is a great spot to hit this time of year particularly after a nice blow and rain like we had.  My bungee cord "otto" is getting old. But boy he is reliable once shes in the right direction lol.

It was a big fish, they tend to chase spoons at a 2.8+ speed.

So there are still browns in close. As long as that temp stays so will they I guess.

10171264_10200543893397732_5010841574101

Lets see what this week brings..

Awesome vid. Mr Clean with a slammer brownie, borderline trophy!!! Doing it solo yet really sets the stage though. I also blew the lower unit on my I/O putting it back together today and hopefully get up there this week to install and get some fishing in, first trip only lasted 3 hrs before the upper gears decided to go leave, leaving us to come in on the kicker, UUGGG

After all the time you lost because of your lower unit, you deserved to get a nice fish. Good for you that the lake temps are like a month behind schedule. You really didn't miss anything. Congrats on the awesome brownie!!

-Steve D

Awesome fish Mr Clean! Way to go after the crappy start to your season!

After blanking out Saturday during the All Aboard Weekend (which was a great time and we will be doing it again) The Lumpy's crew got up early and decided to try the 30' of water west of the chute where we hoped some of the returning bait would be hanging. We guessed correctly and nailed a 10lb brown as soon as we got out in front of Blind Sodus off the 120' off board glow frog spoon. 67 degree surface water! Found some bait pods in there then found big balls of bait loaded with fish down 30 and quickly dropped the balls down as low as we dared and popped a giant brown which we lost at the net. Found some more bait with fish and did the same and nailed a 12lber. Then we lost the bait and fish and headed in... wish we could have weighed the biggest one we dropped. life goes on!

Thanks. Well I went yesterday afternoon after the blow calmed down. The mudline was setup perfectly. just outside the chute. No takers but they were there. I gave it a hour or so then figured a fire would suffice for the evening lol.  We are supposed to get rain sat and sunday but depending on the winds that will tell the tale....

No not yet, it seems were still a little behind time wise this year. The fact that were still catching browns in close almost july 4th is interesting enough for me lol. There are small salmon out around the 120 -170 range, they are there. Can change any day I guess??

Hey congrats to the "dipsey chicks" who fished aboard the Ludwig yesterday in the womens tournament in Oswego. Two nice browns way to represent FaIr Haven!!!

10998861_10100632953268975_4557355560582

But its still mostly browns, small salmon and lakers if you want em....This rain may change things, lets see what happens later in the week.

Edited by mrclean