Mr clean's Fair Haven Report

Well not that this statement has any validity lol. but it seems like when we have a reallly mild winter kings tend to show up early lol... Typically its Browns in the Spring and we wouldnt entertain the fact of a hard silver king fight  until June..

Theres something about a mild winter that must trigger kings cause over the years when its mild all Winter,  its happened

Two years ago, (would be three Winters), coming of a mild winter, flat lining in 20 fow, doin my thing, looking for Browns...

And there is a lot of debris out there and the ice is steadily holding lol..It rained today but really raw out....

I would really like to think that April/May would be awesome

Edited by mrclean

Yep, I remember when that happened one spring about 8 years ago when I went out for a test run with a charter captain friend out of Oswego and we ended up running into a pod of kings and landed 5 or 6 of them up to 20lbs.  What a blast that was.  i never did end up going for browns that spring

I remember about 10 years ago we had a early spring and most guys were in the water with their I/O and the outboards with their canopies up and it snowed over a foot of that heavy wet stuff and a boat load of canopies got smashed down and the bars all twisted up, I just had to shovel the better than knee high snow out of the boat. I had a 18'er center console and I didn't have the canopy up yet. Most all boats had significant damage, unless you had a hardtop. Just a friendly reminder about the early springs.

The last time we had a winter like this was 2012. And yes the Kings showed up early. Started in April and never stopped. These were all out of FH

April 12th 2012

post-144505-1458041260143_thumb.jpg

May 7th 2012

post-144505-14580413027764_thumb.jpg

post-144505-14580413141006_thumb.jpg

May 12th 2012 post-144505-14580413587536_thumb.jpg

You get the picture. It's almost time [emoji1]

Edited by bout time

Of course now lol...they are talking possible snow coming this weekend. Ohhh they mentioned the word "measurable" lol...

I checked that noaa site it looks like it stays 50's until Thursday then turns cold back to the 30's with possible snow lol...typical right???

it is getting there

Of course now lol...they are talking possible snow coming this weekend. Ohhh they mentioned the word "measurable" lol...

I checked that noaa site it looks like it stays 50's until Thursday then turns cold back to the 30's with possible snow lol...typical right???

it is getting there

I'm being optimistic Dan, I see the writing on the wall, but I did have to shake my crystal ball to get an answer. lol

When is someone else gonna come out here and show me how to catch a fish?!  I went out again and found a nice mud line but warmest surface water this week was 39.4.  My rods fired 3 times in the same pocket of water  8' deep but came up empty each time.  Trolled all sticks mostly except for 1 stinger spoon with a couple split shots.  Only 1 other boat out there that looked like it came out of the West.  Been nice and quiet fishing these past 2 weeks but a little too quiet without the drags screamin'.

Sometimes you just got to accept that a bad day of fishing is always better than your best day at work.. Plenty of time left to catch a boat load of fish, it's still early.

Edited by bobbyg470

I might dump my 12 footer in lol...Thing with the browns is temp 39 is a little cold but your getting out thats great. It has been decent to get out there..I was going to play around the pier today but  unfortunately, my moms hot water heater blew last night so i grabbed some shark bites and a new 40 gal natural and slapped it in today lol

I'll be looking to get my boat back in Fair Haven by the first weekend in April assuming the temps are decently above freezing, enough so that it can stay on the hoist all year. Can't wait. What kind of action around the pier could be expected around then? I mostly bass/pike fish around the bay but this is my first full season with the boat so I've never fished Fair Haven in April

When the browns come in (usually when the temp hits 50) that pier can be a gold mine.  If you fish the state park side and cast toward the park you can get nice browns. I use little cleo's and even rebels work. Work all the way down to the corner which sometimes they stack up there. On the West Barrier Bar side a good set of waders can make it fun. ive caught browns simply from casting off shore but better results away from the pier on this side ....With a boat just go along the piers back and forth and you should be fine. There are bass and pike inside the chute and sometimes when its rough out the browns typically come in there as well

10171264_10200543893397732_5010841574101

Edited by mrclean

Krux, trolling for browns in the spring doesn't take many gadgets and can be done by just flat lining with floating/ shallow running stickbaits so all you need are a few rod holders on your boat and reels with decent capacity for 10lb test.

Yea theres nothing to it.  And this is a great time of year for a small boat or not even having a boat cause you could even troll off the pier. Those fish when present get in real close to shore and with minimal equip one could have a blast.

As stated above you could be very efficient if by yourself you can run 3 rods. You would need four rod holders and you wouldn't need the expensive metal type for Browns but I would at least run metal ones I forget the name there like $40.00, that's what I run on my boat, and have had kings pulling like a mule on them, anyway invest in inline planer boards that way you could run 1 pole in shallow and flat line the other on the inside and use the other board to run 1 lure out and deeper, that's your 3 poles, if the inside poles are getting all the action and nothing on the outside pull that outside one and run a "shoot rod" strait out the back. On a good day you will be more busy than a 3 armed wall paper hanger.LOL Good luck!!!!