Mr clean's Fair Haven Report

Yea the water seemed a little clear. And it is still cold...but 50's are a good temp see what you guys do today....

lol ill say this...the fishing inside the bay with an actual water level has made fishing real good....Perch are hittin lol...
Now this is trolling lol

Edited by mrclean
  • Like 1

Here is a question. If you are trolling paralleling the shore line out a ways. And a boat comes behind up you and is overtaking you between you and the shoreline, does that person have a right to beep its horn and try to force you to move out? There is plenty of room for that boat to make the pass. Do I need to give up the line I want to fish just because they want me to move out?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well its not a good idea in the first place to try and pass (closely) any boat that is fishing, particularly now that many use side planers and those lines are often stretched out...When we fish we sometimes do get a little close to one another and we do our best to create distance....radio communication on this is common....

Seems to me it was an isolated incident...Lol unlike in the old day when we used to fish the hole in the Fall and catch 30+ lb kings all day long and everyone was cutting in and out of the loop and dragging lines over lines, honking horns, and flipping birds  lol....I miss those days lol..

3 hours ago, beef300 said:

Here is a question. If you are trolling paralleling the shore line out a ways. And a boat comes behind up you and is overtaking you between you and the shoreline, does that person have a right to beep its horn and try to force you to move out? There is plenty of room for that boat to make the pass. Do I need to give up the line I want to fish just because they want me to move out?

Even though this is trolling and not general boating, those rules would apply in my mind and the onus is on the overtaking vessel to avoid the vessel being overtaking.  Blowing the horn and waving to get your way doesn't change that.  It just makes that guy that was overtaking you a dick lol.   

Edited by Fat Trout
  • Like 3

Even though this is trolling and not general boating, those rules would apply in my mind and the onus is on the overtaking vessel to avoid the vessel being overtaking.  Blowing the horn and waving to get your way doesn't change that.  It just makes that guy that was overtaking you a dick lol.   

That’s what we thought too!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 hours ago, beef300 said:

I was riding in the same boat with beef300.  A couple of things he didn't mention was, when he first started to overtake us, he was a reasonable distance away.  Then when we were about side by side, he starts moving over our way (we were keeping a straight course).  He moved over to the point where our planer boards were merely feet apart.  He was waving at us motioning us to move over.  I waved back indication for him to move away from our board.  We were fishing the green water just outside the brown water, where we had some luck earlier.  We maintained our course. He finally put his boat in neutral and after we pulled away, he resumed and passed us hollering something, but could not hear what.  We were far from shore, so it wasn't like we were forcing him to put his boards on shore by no means.  I couldn't think of any reason why we were required to move over for him, other than that's where he wanted to troll too,  After it was over I said to the guys in the boat "Maybe that was Mr. Ontario and this is his lake"! Can anyone think of any circumstance why we should have yield to him? I don't believe they were fighting a big fish that they were chasing.

• Like 1

was it getting shallower? straight lines and depth countours dont always match.  if he was overtaking than he should have made the adjustment but sometimes a little consideration for depth can mean a lot this is especially true in the finger lakes ask anyone who fishes the seneca lake memorial day derby.  there sometimes 30 feet east or west can be 100ft difference in depth and you cant always adjust all your lines that quick.  

Hey Beef,

I am of the belief in first come first serve. If you were trolling on a line and a boat comes up behind you it is up to them to go around you. Like if I was in a tree stand hunting and someone comes walking up and tells me this is his spot and I need to move I wouldn't budge. Same principal here applies. Some people think they own everything. I say **** em! Laugh at em and keep fishing. You spend money just like everyone else to fish there. Just stay out of my way.. lol JK. Good Luck out there!

• Like 3

It's always a bummer encountering fishing jerks on the water who do inconsiderate and downright stupid stuff like that. I don't troll like most of you guys in here, mostly stick to bass fishing but I swear "those" guys can be even worse. I like to keep a good distance between anyone else fishing, but I can't tell you how many times I've had people come up on me 20ft away or so and pretend like I'm not even there. 

Edited by krux5506

Fishing was good yesterday. The water was calm in the am, so those who went came back with some 5-8 with an occasional close to 10?? Plus a nice small spring king showed up in the mix as well....Of course we woke up to snow and breezy rainy conditions so today is a no go for sure.....The hot spots were right on shore to the left of the chute and out towards the second bluff....This weather should switch it up abit....look like 70 this wed....

Edited by mrclean

I will say this. As nasty as it is today. Theres still nice fishing in the bay. Crappies died off about a good week ago, and the perch have taken over. They got big today which is generally a sign that carp season is fast approaching and of course Bull head season as well....

Heres some action from today lol...

On 4/26/2018 at 9:59 AM, beef300 said:

Heres my take on it, because it has happened several times to me. It all depends on your troll speed to boat distance, if say you are  creeping along at 1.5 to 2 and a boat behind you is cruising along trolling at 3 to 3.5  he will eventually they will come up behind you. And if that is the case he must change his course to allow you to continue trolling. slower vessel has the right away and you shouldn't move. But then there is always my favorite scenario.

This one move happens a lot, you have a boat in front of you and your are at a good distance away from the other vessel when you see them hook up and then the googin move comes into play. They reel the fish in and then throttle up and  circle back as fast as they can to go back over the same spot and now your almost on top of them. and they just screwed you because now you must drop your speed or worse drop to neutral ( which in shallow water means you will snag your lures on bottom ) so no choice but to throttle up and try to pass the googins and get back into your trolling depth. That is why a lot of people get tired of it and  head to deeper water when there is to many boats in shallow.. at all cost to avoid the googins 

Edited by bobbyg470

We got into town Friday afternoon for browns. Got onto the water immediately because we weren't sure what the weather was going to let us do for the rest of the weekend. We put one 8.5 lb brown in the boat right off the bat. And then it was a rookie troller's turn and he couldn't get the rod out of the rod holder, so we went 0 for 3 the rest of the afternoon.

We got a hot tip from the neighbors who were hitting them pretty good all week and headed out early Saturday morning. We headed East out of the chute with a lot of optimism. after going a slow 2 for 2 after about two hours of trolling, we noticed another boat spending a lot of time fighting a fish a little farther out. We moved out to 30 feet and started pulling spoons at 15-25 feet down. Within 5 minutes, a 13 lb king hit a Stinger alwife four colors down. Obviously, we were happy with the move. But before I could get everything set again, the rigger set at 25 feet popped on a DW wonderbread. Turned out to be a 16.5 lb king. After one more decent brown, on the same wonderbread, things started slowing down. We kept going until around 11 and decided to pull our gear in and go in for lunch. We had been towing a 16" steelie for who knows how long. Could have been hours. I was happy to see him take off right away.

The weather held off for the afternoon, so we went back out. We figured that since the big game fish were hitting, that we would try out deep. Couldn't even mark a fish the rest of the day as we moved in closer to shore.  We fished through a couple little showers, but the swells were starting to grow. The big rain and wind started as soon as we got the morning catch processed.

And then Sunday was obviously a three coffee pot kind of morning.

download_zpsizmbjrdp.jpg

Maclean said it right. In the 80’s it would have been a bit different story. Things were a bit rougher.I. In my opinion.  Flat tires at ramps auto damage if some nut thought he was right.

But I still today as then would hold my line.  

Went out this morning heading East and picked up a couple nice Kings. One 36 inches the other 25. 20 feet of water Both on Stinger spoons. One on a downrigger down 10' the other on 3 colors of lead core.  Also later a 23 inch Brown in 15' of water of a rigger 5' down on a Stinger. A spoon day for me.  Dragged Bay Rats all day without a strike.   

we had a good day today   headed east  with a 12lb king right off  the set up and  a brown about the same size  then caught many cookie cutter browns  sorting out the  6  lb ish  ones  green and chrome bay rat    must have caught 30 fish today . we are loosing all our  mud today  may be fishing clear water tomorrow 

• Like 1

another day  with some good fishing   3 kings 10-15 lbs     in 15 feet of water  while fishing for browns    17  for 22  this morning   biggest brown was  8 lbs    it was great to feel a warm breeze .