Mr clean's Fair Haven Report

• 1 month later...

Its ice fishing time lol. We had 80 mph winds last week but Fair Haven seemed to hold its own. Bay is frozen and the lake is an ice barrier from all those heavy winds. Today is March 1st but dont let that fool anyone...stay warm its going to get freezing again..

image - 2019-03-01T145001.995.jpg

Going to be another bad year for flooding. I stopped at FH this weekend and the water is already 14" higher then the same date from 2017 which was the last flood. 

There has been more snowfall during late February and early march this year versus 2017 and will only add to higher levels once its melts......

We will be fine, yes the water level is high but their are still many factors of weather within the next few months that will shape reality....If we get minimal rain in the Spring which is common with an El Nino year like we have then the water will be at a nice level...Time will tell but no need for panic too early lol..

Well its considered a "safe harbor" access owned by the federal govt maintained by the Army core of Engineers. Basically it has to stay open. to nautical traffic. They may close it for a short time for certain parts of the repair but it wont really effect boats unless it totally rips off and creates a serious hazard. And even at that point it would get fixed relatively quick for reopening the harbor....Definitely will be closed to foot traffic. We will update  once we hear more....

Edited by mrclean

Here is an update. The ladders are holding the barrier into place for now. There is still plenty of room for nautical access in and out of the lake.  We still have a way to go with this..Waters and winds typically get harder on the piers in the initial Spring. The goal now is to prevent any more separation between the wall and metal barriers. I will update as we hear more.

Image may contain: ocean, sky, cloud, outdoor, water and nature

Aa I expected funding has been approved and the Army Core of Engineers will begin planning. It looks worse than it really is. They may seek additional funding to redo more of the piers but for now geese are returning but there still is more winter left but Spring is getting close...

• Like 1

Hello everyone, it’s getting to that time again! My family and I are planning our annual trip up to Fairhaven, we’ve been coming up about 10 years now. I know every year is different and I don’t expect this one to be any “different” but we’ve held off on booking a place to stay due to the lasting winter weather and the dates that we can come up. Right now we are shooting for 4-13/4-16.  We are coming up from Mass and everything here is pretty much iced over still. We stay at anchor resort and dock the boat as well for the convenience. Does anyone have any thoughts on the bay being thawed by then? Also will the damages to the chute have any affect on us accessing lady O. I know there are a lot of factors that effect these things just looking for some advice from people who live in the area. I’m assuming that the water off the state launch will give us access to the lake by then? Thanks ahead for any information! Keeping our fingers crossed that the weather starts changing for the warmer ! 

Cheers, 

matt 

we are heading to Fair Haven for a couple weeks   on 4/20   have been going around that time on and off for  40 years and always did well last year  caught more spring Kings than ever before  hope some of those guys are around this spring .

Flounder you shouldnt have any issues by then. Our rivers have already broke and some are already fishing the lake for some early browns. If the westher stays at the 40s everything will be thawed in a week or so. As far as the poer it shouldnt effect anything from what i have read. They wont commence work on it until its funded which could take a little while.  It doesnt hinder entry or exit to the harbor so you should be all set. Enjoy the trip up good luck and be safe. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BAITNH said:

we are heading to Fair Haven for a couple weeks   on 4/20   have been going around that time on and off for  40 years and always did well last year  caught more spring Kings than ever before  hope some of those guys are around this spring .

Are you guys up there this summer for your usual trip??

Everything should be fine. The ice is melting away, Its mostly at the south end where we all are. The chute will remain open and honestly the water level is where it should be for this time of year. I would actually like to see it come up just a tad.

007.JPG

Went West again today. 10 to 20 FOW, fishing the edges of the mud lines. 35 degree water. Boated 11 browns and one Atlantic, lost 2 fish. Rapala Shadow rap (Halloween), black and silver jointed Rapala, Leatherstocking spoons and Stingers took fish. Kept 2, the rest went back in the lake.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thejigger said:

Went West again today. 10 to 20 FOW, fishing the edges of the mud lines. 35 degree water. Boated 11 browns and one Atlantic, lost 2 fish. Rapala Shadow rap (Halloween), black and silver jointed Rapala, Leatherstocking spoons and Stingers took fish. Kept 2, the rest went back in the lake.

How big was the Atlantic