Mr clean's Fair Haven Report

Finally dumped my boat in this past Sunday, launched at turtle cove which was tricky. Kinda surprised it's still open. Easy enough with my 17' Lund but anyone else with bigger boats probably would wanna launch at LSI or the state launch if it's still open. 

And the flooding continues......As of right now West Barrier Bar is shut off because it looks like a swimming pool, Yesterday as the storms rolled in the water literally rose 8 inches in 10 minutes to the point where my "Sea Otter" which was on dry grass almost started to float lol. 

010.JPG

This afternoon Wrights landing in Oswego closed indefinitely and all boats need to be evacuated.. As a result there is a lot of scrambling going on particularly with the bigger boats that do not have trailer systems. That being said,  here is a statement from Scott and Kim at Bayside Marina. As far as local launches are concerned im not certain about the State Park but the local launches are really flooded and really not conductive to safe boating...The water will recede eventually. Everyone just needs to work thru this for now...

To all the boaters along the lake Ontario shoreline including the ones in Oswego that just found out some pretty terrible news. We are asking that you give us a day or two to figure out what we are going to do. As of right now we need to figure out who is going in the water and who is not. This may free up a
couple of docks for some of you and may free up some land to block people if we have no other option other than to pull the boats out of the water. Half of our storage yard is under water and we cannot in good faith store boats and block them in an area that is under water. As always we will do the best to serve all of our customers. If we don’t answer the phones it’s because we are busy working on the yard and sandbagging. Thanks for being patient-Scott and Kim

so random idea i dont know this marina at all or how much water space there is but if wrights uses floating docks they could work out a deal to truck some of them to fair haven to build some additional  temporary slips for those without trailers.  the logistics would take some doing but between the two marinas they might earn some serious customer loyalty for the effort.

Still credit to scott and kim for trying to do anything they can to help out i wish the state would put that much effort into keeping launches accessible

10 hours ago, mrclean said:

This afternoon Wrights landing in Oswego closed indefinitely and all boats need to be evacuated.. As a result there is a lot of scrambling going on particularly with the bigger boats that do not have trailer systems. That being said,  here is a statement from Scott and Kim at Bayside Marina. As far as local launches are concerned im not certain about the State Park but the local launches are really flooded and really not conductive to safe boating...The water will recede eventually. Everyone just needs to work thru this for now...

Wrights landing is closed, the launch docks are not usable, however boats in slips can be left in place but the marina is not going to continue adding to walk ramps to get on the docks. Some charters and other boaters are continuing to operate. Boats can be left in place at your own risk.

I believe that it still is but its best to call the park directly since this is a day to day basis.....Right now they are still discussing the situation in Oswego. As much as they want to accommodate everyone to the best of their abilities, liabilities rule here. They cant have people on those docks at their own risk particularly when it comes to charter boats....Major liability there particularly when it comes to charter business customers....Im sure they will put out more information as they gather it but for now this is where we stand.

Went out of the beach this morning, easy getting in not so nice taking boat out. Picked up two browns early then back to back small Kings in 65fow down 45 on riggers before the heavy rain. Green alewife spoon. Probably not going to be able to launch at the state park by next weekend

GreasyLuck

Im not gonna lie here lol. This rain has got to go.Were pretty flooded, none like ive ever seen. Everyone can have an opinion on the flood but for me I just have to look toward "Nature" as it intends to be. So I figured with this brief lapse of rain this am I would step back into Nature and see if I could find anything good outta all this. I took my kayak into the Sterling Creek for my annual trip. Crystal clear water, spawning carp, birds of all kinds just lined the creek. The high waters actually gave me passage way into some hidden tributaries that normally would not be accessible by any means. Everything as far as Nature was concerned was coping well.

Edited by mrclean
youtube
  • Like 3

Fair Haven Wounded Veterans Appreciation Weekend is fast approaching.

It is and has been fast approaching.  We now have solid numbers a week and a half out.  There should be between 30 - 36 guys coming.  Larry, Cindy, and I agreed that we could not turn these guys away who signed up after what they did for us (our goal is usually between 20 - 30) and are hoping for good weather and the fish to be biting regularly again.

Spread the word that any one on the lake on the 22nd is encouraged to use channel 72 to spread the word on any patterns, depth, speed etc... that they get working to help bend an extra rod or two for these service men and women.

Also, please be sure to thank all of the local businesses who have donated with special thanks to Bayside for allowing us to use their fish cleaning station, Turtle for hosting some of the guests in their cottages and opening up the restaurant early for breakfast and to be used as a meeting place to pair off with the captains, Screwy Louies for a cabin, Anchor for the use of their floating dock to help load and unload the guys with the high water, many of the restaurants in town and grocery stores for donations to the picnic, and countless others as far away as NJ who have donated trophies, plaques, money, and other goods.  A special thank you as well to the local Legion for hosting the Friday night dinner for captains to share information and for the guests staying over night to have a place to go for a great spread and to get to know each other a bit better before a day of fishing.

Thank you to all of the captains who have donated their time, expertise, friendship, and use of their boats to make this possible.

Sincerely,
Larry, Cindy, and Phil
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Made our first trip out of Fair Haven to fish for a few hours on Saturday afternoon.

We were up the week before and the water dropped maybe 2 inches at our dock.

Set up in 100 fow and trolled out to 200-220.  At 200 we saw some action and turned east there.  Probe was down 75 and read 47 degrees.  Took 4 hits on a diver out 230 with a stinger yellow penguin.  DR out 85 took other hits on DW NBK.  Best down speed was 2.7.

Flies were miserable. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, steelfire said:

Mr Clean,  Is the water dropping at all in FairHaven Bay? Coming up for a couple weeks on the 18th. Just wondering if our House dock is still under water.

No noticeable drop at our cottage that I can see. 

Yesterday at the park launch it was the first time in weeks that I did not have to uses boots to get out you the floating dock. I am calling it down 4" from the high water mark.

• Like 1