Copper Speed Trolling

We have been trolling copper for a tournament last weekend. During our Pre -fishing 95 % of our fish came off Big boards with copper at 2.5 to 2.7 Mph surface speed . Kicking surface speed up to 4 mph by GPS, the bite we had on Copper was gone...it turned into a Monofilament bite only.

Anyone know at what surface speed, copper loses it's action ?

Speeding up prolly caused your copper to rise out of the strikezone that u were in when you were at the slower speed

I was thinking that as well as it just became a straight piece of copper line with no action. Our Mono lines only had one split shot 6' ahead of the spoons at the 4 mph surface speed

Splice in a section of strong mono or braid and use that in your release to avoid potentially kinking (or weakening) the copper.

They can be done that way but the multi section approach seems to affect the way the copper runs in the water....and every knot or swivel is a potential weak spot but for some guys it is the preferred method. I prefer to set up dedicated length of copper with a small barrel swivel (that will easily fit through rod tip) or Albright knot (I also use a SMALL amount of CLEAR hot glue on knots to keep them from unraveling as an added precaution) between 50 pound Power Pro backing and the copper and then the copper then a small barrel swivel to a leader of mono or fluoro (various lengths) with a solid ring ball bearing swivel on the end. I usually run my copper in the chute rather than from a board or outrigger and use braid or wire for that.

good to know... thank you. I got the 45lbs blood run copper suppose to be really good stuff.... we will see.... can you run SD with a fly on copper on the board going 1.5-2.0 mph? or do you think it's to much for it?

We have been trolling copper for a tournament last weekend. During our Pre -fishing 95 % of our fish came off Big boards with copper at 2.5 to 2.7 Mph surface speed . Kicking surface speed up to 4 mph by GPS, the bite we had on Copper was gone...it turned into a Monofilament bite only.

Anyone know at what surface speed, copper loses it's action ?

Stan what type of action do you think copper has?

It moves in a slow wiping actions the same as Laeadcore as it rises and sinks at slow speeds. Have someone go to the bow of your boat and let it out, while your at the fantail of the boat, you can watch it as it sinks to depth.  

good to know... thank you. I got the 45lbs blood run copper suppose to be really good stuff.... we will see.... can you run SD with a fly on copper on the board going 1.5-2.0 mph? or do you think it's to much for it?

Yes, you can run F/F on the copper.  Just be careful on your turns no matter what your lure choice, if you turn too sharp the line on the inside will sink due to the loss of speed, then you pick up zebra mussels or worse get hung up.  I wasn't paying close enough attention last weekend and came up with some zebra's. Luckily that was it.

Yes, you can run F/F on the copper.  Just be careful on your turns no matter what your lure choice, if you turn too sharp the line on the inside will sink due to the loss of speed, then you pick up zebra mussels or worse get hung up.  I wasn't paying close enough attention last weekend and came up with some zebra's. Luckily that was it.

The original post/question 

"Anyone know at what surface speed, copper loses it's action ?"

It moves in a slow wiping actions the same as Laeadcore as it rises and sinks at slow speeds. Have someone go to the bow of your boat and let it out, while your at the fantail of the boat, you can watch it as it sinks to depth.  

We ran the smart troll probe on Copper and it didn't move at all once it was at trolling depth, dipsies and torpedo's moved alot but leadcore and copper stayed at the same depth

We ran the smart troll probe on Copper and it didn't move at all once it was at trolling depth, dipsies and torpedo's moved alot but leadcore and copper stayed at the same depth

At what surface speed ? 

At 4 mph surface speed, the copper will or should rise or it kills all the action 

Stan,

I agree with Matthew - I don't think a heavy line like copper really has that much action up and down when you have so much line out when comparing 2.5 to 4.0 sog. Even with high waves, the up and down action is dampened by the length and stiffness of the copper line. You may have side to side "whipping" action on the line when you are zig-zagging or turning, but not up and down to a great extent unless you are changing speeds back and forth.

I think Chromeslayer nailed it - you probably just left the strike zone or you lost action on your bait. It's simple physics and I think the Smart Troll is going to change a lot of what we think is going on down there.....

Good luck and be safe on the water,

Chris