Jigging for lakers?

Also here is a great post I found useful when starting to lean how to Jig for Lakers... took me a little while to get the hang of it but once you know what to look for on the Fish Finder, what mode to have it in to find it, and what gear to use to be successful you can pick it up pretty quick. I have had great success with the Jigs that hermit sells on the site Pete posted above. 

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/index.php/topic/30613-cayuga-624/?hl=%2Bjigging+%2Bfish+%2Bfinder#entry188950

-Pete 

I've done well with size 7 Jigging Rapala's, 4" Swimbaits like the Jackalls or Swammers, and also Williams Whitefish spoons if you get a calm enough day to keep 'em vertical.

New@this link explains exactly the technique that has worked anywhere for me for vertical jigging fish.

Here is a vid on swimbait technique as well

Good luck!

Edited by tonyb

I love jigging for lakers. All the links will tell you all you need to know. You DO NOT need fancy electronics to find the fish if you know the lake you're fishing fairly well. The fish will be where you usually catch em. Work the water and vary your retrieve. I find it best to try to stay vertical. I like using two rods too. You can let one fall while brining the other up.

a tactic that i use all the time when i am drifting is to stand in the back of the boat and cast my jig downwind far enough so when the jig hits bottom it is directly under the motor and transducer thus  it is vertical. Casting distance varies depending on wind speed and water depth. If you have your fish finder in the right location you can watch your jig as it heads for the bottom and hopefully watch as trout come off the bottom to attack your jig. A definate blast..