About to buy a boat, need advice..... OMC GODS HELP!

Kuba

About to purchase and older boat, with an OMC Cobra and a 4.3L engine, here are my questions....

1. What to look for in general?

2. How readily available are parts for these dinosaurs?

3. Any general known problems with these?

4. Is the 4.3 a chevy motor?

5. Whats the best way to test it without being in the water, seller wants to put muffs on it and run it + go through gears?

Please help :)

I guess I'm silly then......In my mind, spending the 3-4 hundred bucks on a survey is worth it. Especially if the boat ends up having transom or stringer issues.......Most decent surveys will uncover moisture problems, hull blisters, and some mechanical issues......

Depending on the boat, a stringer job or transom job could cost you more than the boat is worth.....the survey cost is nothing compared to the problems you could have........

About to purchase and older boat, with an OMC Cobra and a 4.3L engine, here are my questions....

1. What to look for in general?

2. How readily available are parts for these dinosaurs?

3. Any general known problems with these?

4. Is the 4.3 a chevy motor?

5. Whats the best way to test it without being in the water, seller wants to put muffs on it and run it + go through gears?

Please help :)

1) Knock on the stringers if they have a nice solid hit and NOT a thud sounds the stringers should be ok. Also look at the motor mount bolts that go into the stringers if they look loose grab a wrench and try to tighten them if they keep turning then they are rotted. Stuff your head in the bilge and literally sniff around, if you smell something similar to mold then it probably is.

2) You can still find parts but they are becoming harder to get. Your general maintenance stuff is still readily available.

3) Yup

4) Get a water test, offer to drive it to the nearest water source maybe that will change his mind.

Kuba,

I think fishnwmn hit the nail on the head....if someone is serious about selling a boat they should be willing to take you for a spin in it before buying it. The motor should probably be your main concern since the boat has an aluminum hull dry rot is not an issue but you might want to look over the rivets and any signs of standing water having been in the boat. You can usually tell quite a bit by riding in it.

Even with an aluminum boat, you will want to check the condition of the transom. What make/model boat are you looking at? Others who might have that same boat may be able to point out smaller things to look for since they are familiar with that model of boat.

yeah but if you spend more on the survey then your goin to pay for the boat then what ? seems silly

And if you end up spending 30 times more than the survey fixing a broken boat, because you didn't survey, then what?

That seems silly.  You spend the $300 on a survey to avoid a $1,000 to $10,000 problem.  And believe me $1000 is easy to spend on a boat.  One other fact, boats have problems especially if they're old.  So chances are the surveyor will pick up something, and inform you all the better. Not saying it will sink the deal, but at least you know what you're getting yourself into.

I would never buy an old boat without a survey.  Second point, not all surveyors are good. Make sure you get a good one by word of mouth - call the local marinas and get recommendations.

There's a decent guy in Port Credit, his name is Wallace. If you are interested, I will PM his number to you.

Lastly, agree with others, the boat should be surveyed on land, but also has to be tested in the water.

Edited by markbellino

I checked out the boat I think your talking about... It looked decent to me other than a soft spot in the transom on the port side right down at the bottom. 

The engine sounded decent and shifted well. I did not take the boat for a wet ride tho. 

Good luck!

Well, the boat sold :) so i guess it was meant to be that way, and that was i sign that i was not supposed to own one with an OMC drive :)

guys thanks for all your inputs!

K.