I've always had better luck with the sand eels for bigger fish...the smaller ones on the blood worms...also used a (larger home made) worm harness with the eels sucessfully.

Fished there yesterday. caught one 17 lb, one 9 lb and several in the 4 and 5lb range. all south of the newburg brige. All came on bloods. I did notice a few boats trolling. I am curious as to what they were trolling with and if the were catching any?

See guys trolling and can say I never see them boat fish at newburg. I've tried a couple times with plugs and had no luck. I wish I could find a bait besides bloods, we've tried a lot of things and they catch 0 fish for us. Tried jigging thumper tails yesterday and nothing there either. Soaked live eels for hours last year and 1 fish total.

That's strange....wonder what they are actually feeding on should be shad or herring in there shouldn't there? maybe when you get a keeper cut its stomach open and examine for clues. I know they love the sand eels out in the ocean in the rip. I think I would also try jigging off bottom and while drifting with white 4 or 5 inch rubber shad or look a likes.

Didn't do really well but I did manage this nice fish under the bobber.  37 inches and had not spawned out yet.  She was returned to the river to complete her mission.  Her little Brother came home with me.  All in all it was pretty calm and that seemed to be the scuttlebut with everyone we talked to.

Another year done...

Joe

post-149943-0-94819300-1369088829_thumb.jpg