What a trip out of Sodus today!

when we left the channel today we pointed NW and ran to about 110 FOW.  We set out 6 top lines off the boards, mostly small red spoons with 2-3 splitshot and 2 riggers with SS size spoons, mostly in red/pink/orange.  We trolled out to 180 without a touch or even so much as a mark, so we soldiered north.  Just as we crossed 180, we took a shot on a 9 foot rigger 80 back with a DW SS red spoon with a 8 lb laker?  Shortly thereafter we took a shot on a top line with a red spoon with a 4 lb steelie.  Seeing some life, we went to 220 and turned around and back through that same water, with 2 3-4 lb steelies to show for it.

We had to decide whether to work that water or keep going north... So at about 8:30 we went north

When we got to about 235  FOW all hell broke loose! We had a double on shallow riggers (8 and 14 feet respectively), then a nice steelie on the top (8 lbs) then a brown on the top, all within about 10 minutes.  we figured the fish were out a little deeper so we worked 220-270 the next 2.5 hours or so.    we had very steady action, including several doubles, evenly spit between short riggers and top lines with red spoons.  It was primarily a steelhead bite with a few other species for good measure.  I did hear of a few kings taken in the top 40 foot, though I really have no other details...

We would end the day 15 for 15, with 11 steelhead, 2 lakers, 1 brown and 1 coho. I was one measly king away from my first slam. There were alot of "cookie cutter" steelies all right around 3-4 lbs, with a few hens that were pushing 8-9 lbs.

I cant tell you how happy I am to catch something that is not a lake trout!  I love this time of year- I was telling my brother that fog season is steelhead season!!

See you out there tomorrow!  Hopefully I can find one for the LOC board!

Abe

Steady action out there for sure before the little front came by. Several lakers in the top 25 then we found the steel in the depths rdebadts mentioned. A bunch of smaller ones with a couple bigger but no 8 or 9s for us. Had a couple hard  rigger shots 17 and 30 down but failed to connect. Stinger ckicken wing,mixed veggie, and gold perch were good. Go back and get a derby fish rdebadts!