60# Bloodrun Copper Sink Rates ?

I am getting ready to set up a couple of copper rigs and am considering the new Blood run 60# but they aren't publishing sink rates yet. I am hoping someone can give me an idea how it compares to the 45# so I can decide if it will give me greater depth with less line on the reel. Also I think I have settled on the Okuma convector 55 with the line counter. Anyone have an opinion on the reel? It seems the next step up with comparable capacity and a line counter is a lot more money. Thanks in advance for your information and opinions. This is the Greatest board I have ever been on.

It is considerably heavier...almost 2 times 45lb.   Early estimates on the conservative side are 30' sink for 100' copper.   Could end up being more..quite a bit more.

I think they are shooting for end of May to publish numbers.   Not sure what speeds those figures are at which obviously impacts how deep it will go.

I do know that only an Albright knot will work for getting the knot through an Okuma 55.   Swivels/heatshrink is tight..  Tekotas no problem on swivels..

Fyi, line counter are not needed with copper. Okuma Convector 55 or Okuma Clarion 553 are both good choices and they will hold up to 300' of Blood Run 60# copper. 

Thanks for the information. Legacy why don't you like the line counters with the copper. I understand if you are always running it all out but I was thinking with 300' of 60# I may not always want to go that deep with it and the line counter would make it easier to adjust and repeat. Thanks again for all the help.

I tie a small piece of red yarn every 50 ft and put a spot of super glue to keep it from unraveling ...works fine. I also have one setup with a Berkeley Line (add on) Counter that works OK but I always wonder if is going to kink the wire :)

Edited by Sk8man

My understanding when you run copper you have to run whatever length you have on the reel out until the backing is at the tip of the pole and copper is in the water, same as lead core, you can't stop without putting out whatever you are carrying because having leadcore or copper at the tip continuously will wear out the line. I have seen leadcore just break at the tip when just putting out a few colors and leaving some on the reel, I'm new to fishing copper so please help out if this is incorrect.

The problem at the tip is why I use a rod with a roller tip rather than twillis (although I have twilli tips). With a roller tip you don't have to use all the copper unless you are running it from boards and releases. If running copper from either of those it is best to use dedicated rods with a set amount on it attaching to backing or spliced mono segments. I run my main copper as 600ft. but not off releases (i.e.down the chute) and usually as close to bottom as I can get without hanging up and letting out only as much as I need to get where I want to be.

My question is how will it deloy over 2 wire divers?  With the sink rate more, I would think you would have more issues when divers are out 250 plus and you are running long coppers.  If it is an issue, I will stick with the 45lb. 

My question is how will it deloy over 2 wire divers?  With the sink rate more, I would think you would have more issues when divers are out 250 plus and you are running long coppers.  If it is an issue, I will stick with the 45lb. 

That's a great question.   I agree with you, if it is a problem I'll stick with the 45lb, but then maybe the 60lb would be better ran in the chute.  I'd hate to loose fishing time on my diver rods to redeploy a copper on a board.

That's a great question.   I agree with you, if it is a problem I'll stick with the 45lb, but then maybe the 60lb would be better ran in the chute.  I'd hate to loose fishing time on my diver rods to redeploy a copper on a board.

We ran the 60lb last year quite a bit, it is a gradual deployment at 2.5 gps speed and we had no issues sliding it way out on an inline over two wire divers run out 400 on a 1 and 3 setting.     This isn't like a torpedo or dive bomb that takes the line straight down causing tangles on deployment if not watched carefully.     Set it and fish it like 45lb..