Sodus Pro Am, July 20 & 21...website is live!

I was reviewing the rules re: to the bonus laker

Is the lake trout only eligible if the team has 6 silver fish to weigh in?

For example, if we only have 4 silver fish to weigh in we wouldn't be able to weigh in the "bonus laker" in since we did not have a limit of 6 silver fish.

So, you can only weigh in a laker if you have a full box of 6 silver fish.

Right?.. Wrong?

Thanks

Al

I was reviewing the rules re: to the bonus laker

Is the lake trout only eligible if the team has 6 silver fish to weigh in?

For example, if we only have 4 silver fish to weigh in we wouldn't be able to weigh in the "bonus laker" in since we did not have a limit of 6 silver fish.

So, you can only weigh in a laker if you have a full box of 6 silver fish.

Right?.. Wrong?

Thanks

Al

Hi Al,

Thanks for the question, I just discussed this with Matt and we will clarify this better in the rules.

To answer your question:

The bonus lake trout will count for 10 points (assuming of coarse it meets legal state size requirements). There will be no points awarded for total weight of a lake trout.   Am teams with a lake trout in their cooler will receive 10 points for 1 lake trout. 

There are no other limitations regarding the bonus lake trout. You do not need to meet your 6 silver fish limit to weigh your 1 bonus Lake trout.  

Example box = One 20 lb salmon, one 5 lb brown trout, one 10 lb steelhead and one 20 lb lake trout would give a team a 3 fish box = 65 points + 10 points for the lake trout for a final point total for the day of 75 points.

Our thoughts on the laker is we don't really want to encourage fishing for lake trout. Lakers happen, some will be caught, and in many cases that fish will not survive so if teams catch one...keep it.  In most cases however, teams will probably be better off targeting bigger salmon to upgrade their box. If the case were you smash 6 big kings and want to go for the extra 10 points...that will just add to the overall decision process and strategy.

Hope this helps and we will adjust the rules to clarify this  :yes:

Edited by Fishtails

hell yeah can't wait i heard through the grape vine that there are no spotters i hope that is just a rumor

Not a rumor, but not set in stone either.

Pro division has an observer

Am division has no observer

We discussed this at length. I must add that I am not really on the rules committee, just an advisor, and a voice because I can get online more frequently.

The Pro division has remained unchanged from previous format. For the Am, we actually would prefer to have the observer. I know Matt was against straying away from the no observer at first, but the most important aspect to us is to get the best Am turnout possible.

We want to appeal to the masses, and the observer has been a sticking point through the years in the Am division and one reason numbers decreased yearly.  Last year Sodus had many teams in the no observer open division I have never seen before.  That is what we are looking for...new team participants.  The Am division should be the farm system for the Pro division,  but new teams, (especially from out of town, or out of state) can be intimidated with the whole observer aspect and it keeps them from signing up. It also runs up team cost, and creates space issues on small boats.

We all know not everyone will be happy, no matter what. What does matter is that we listen to all sides and in the end do what is best for the majority.  We polled many Am teams, and no observer was the clear winner, but we are open minded and if this is not the case and the majority wants an observer we would certainly listen.

Lets not overlook that the KOTL events have run without an observer with GREAT success and very few/if any problems....for many years.  Remember, all Am teams will have a flag, and we will have boats on patrol watching with binoculars looking for infractions....trust us on that. We will have a zero tolerance policy on cheating. We have also discussed cooler checks in the morning. Nobody is going to want to get caught cheating....it won't be a good experience.  Self-regulation does and can work if we all band together and want it to work.

Just my opinion....

Edited by Fishtails

We have sponsors coming aboard to help us make The Sodus Pro Am a top notch event.  Without them we would not be able to offer a 100% payout.

Our first Sponsor is Captain Jacks Good Time Saloon in Sodus Point.  You know we're all gonna be meeting up for food & drinks during the tourney at Captain Jacks. :yes:  Captain jacks has offered to donate $1000 cash and will also host  Friday's shootout. 

Another sponsor is Ocean LED. Ocean will be donating two LED.T12 Green lights   (value of $700 ++)

http://www.oceanled.com/component/oled_products/item/73.html

Another sponsor will be A-Tom-mik manufacturing, who has agreed to donate $500. in fly products.

I will post more of our sponsors as they roll in   :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

We would like to announce the much needed return of The Come Back Award to The Sodus Pro Am for both the Pro & Am divisions!!

Also, we will be giving out a top 5 Team trophies for youth big fish, so please get your kids involved !!! (more details to come)

The website now has a place to sign up as an observer. Click on the observer tab.

We just sent out a newsletter today with a lot of new information , if you are not signed up for our newsletter, you can do so on our website @

www.sodusproam.com/tournament

Edited by Sodus Pro Am

As July approaches I'd like to remind everyone that the mail-in deadline will be here before we know it. We’d like to encourage those who plan on attending to send in the registration as soon as possible as it will help us get everything finalized and help everything run as smooth as possible. Registrations are now coming in on a daily basis and we would like to thank those of you who have entered already.

For such a late start, gaining sponsorships have been very successful and we would like to announce that with their support Sodus will be over a 100% payback tournament regarding cash and will have countless prizes to give away also.

• 2 weeks later...

There will be no size restriction for the am division boats as there are no spotters aboard this year to accommodate. The am division will be fishing unless a small craft advisory is posted or conditions are deemed unsafe by the committee. Obviously the final division will be decided by the team captain wether their team fishes or not or decides to end early if conditions deteriorate beyond their liking before it is officially called.

Cash deadline in Sunday before and I'll only be collecting the money at the Oswego pro/am....or if your local by this Friday you could bring it to krenzers. If that doesnt work out pm me and i'll see what i can do. Ams won't be fishing in small craft, which I doubt you would want to anyways in a 17 foot boat. So what that means is for what ever amount of time you fish that day as long as its over two hours will count and then the next day will count too. Hope this helps.

Looks like we've had an explosion of interest that last few days and will have a good turn out for both division so if your on the fence about giving it a try come on down there will be plenty of people to meet, lots of sponsorship goodies up for grabs and as always the best port atmosphere around.

Cash deadline in Sunday before and I'll only be collecting the money at the Oswego pro/am....or if your local by this Friday you could bring it to krenzers. If that doesnt work out pm me and i'll see what i can do. Ams won't be fishing in small craft, which I doubt you would want to anyways in a 17 foot boat. So what that means is for what ever amount of time you fish that day as long as its over two hours will count and then the next day will count too. Hope this helps.