Fishing report from Port Darlington or Port Hope area

Hi to all Steelhead and King Fisherman.

I am new to Steelhead and Salmon fishing on Lake Ontario as I fished those species with flies in rivers for more then 10 years in the past (mostly in Pulaski,NY). I will start to fish lake Ontario this year and was wondering if the Steelhead and salmon fishing has realy started in the Port Darlington or Port Hope area???

I would like to travel this comming weekend with by 15 years old twins. Is it too soon??? Any help on where and how to start my first salmon fishing season on Lake Ontario would be helpfull.

I tied many many flies in various colors and can't wait to try them behind a SpinDoctor...

Regards: Roger Weber

Edited by Moosehunter

Hi Roger

Been out from Port Darlington 5 times in past 2 weeks. I have just setup my boat with all new gear and was out trying it out and have yet got only 1 chinook. went out as far as 300 ft. Most of the fish I saw were 175 -225. Hit the fish at 185 and 45 down. I'm dying to hear some fresh reports to get me a few tips. 

2 mag 10's w/spin doctor spoon and a couple of tipsy rods with spoons. The orange spoon worked .

I hope to head back out on the long weekend.

Best of luck with your new flies!

Eddie

There's not much talk about Whitby Harbour, which is 2 minutes from my house.  I see all kinds of charter boats parked there, but I've yet to catch one out of Whitby. 

Will I have better luck out by Darlington?

I have a single rigger, and some salmony lures, and a good finder.  Don't do much salmon fishing though, not as much as I should be!

Just came in from Whitby Harbour.  I was fishing in water depths of 30ft-110ft.  I wasn't seeing many fish on the graph.  It seems from the previous reply that the fish are holding much farther out than I was.  I had two dipsey's out the back running 25ft and 45ft and never had a single strike. 

Hi HBC..

Just went on the Coast Watch site for water temps on Lake O and noticed the warmest pockets are just off Port Hope at 52.4 F and east of Port Hope at 51.6F.

If winds calm down I'll be out tomorrow sporting all new equipment..new Cannon Mag 10's Electric and just finished installed a new Fish Hawk  4XD..all new rods and Convector reels. Been fishing for years but just about zero time on downriggers and especially Lake Ontario. I plan to change that this summer!!

Will probably see you out there. Hope your hairy butt crack has shorts on that nastiness..Lol!

Edited by TYMZUP

I got out a couple times about a month ago out of port hope. I was fishing in tight to shore for browns and bows and we hooked into 3 fish in 4 outings. Just out off otty point. It was pretty slow going! I haven't been out since. Another week or 2 and I will be out steadily!!! I just moved up to that neck of the woods from grand bend (lake Huron) so I'm new to Lake Ontario fishing. But I figure it's like riding a bike, just bigger fish!!!!!!!!

I got out a couple times about a month ago out of port hope. I was fishing in tight to shore for browns and bows and we hooked into 3 fish in 4 outings. Just out off otty point. It was pretty slow going! I haven't been out since. Another week or 2 and I will be out steadily!!! I just moved up to that neck of the woods from grand bend (lake Huron) so I'm new to Lake Ontario fishing. But I figure it's like riding a bike, just bigger fish!!!!!!!!

I may go out tomorrow off Pt Hope. Just got back from Rice Lake with a limit of beauty pics. All filleted and what didn't make the fry pan is in the freezer..yum!!

Eddie

• 2 weeks later...