Jigging Lakers

Tried jigging Keuka for lakers on the last 2 saturdays with little success. Launched at the state park 2 saturdays ago and one of the guys in the boat caught 3. This was his 1st time jigging as well. All of his fish were caught when i was moving the boat slowly trying to find fish on the ff. We had maybe 5 hits when we were vertical but couldn't hook up. This past saturday launched out of Penn Yan and ran down the lake until i could find fish in 70-100 fow. Got 4 or 5 hits vertical but still no hook ups. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've used 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce white jig heads with white flukes or Tubes, 10 pound braided line with a 6 ft 10 lb mono leader. Fish seem to be gone by the time i try to set the hook. There is a lot of guys on here who are good at this so i'm hoping to get some advice. Thanks! 

If you are not already using one, I would suggest adding a stinger hook.   

Northland Tackle has some slip on stinger hooks that are made up with 10lb mono and a size 8 treble I believe, easy to add to tube jigs and other baits. 

c5d0733d299b6a7afb78f51f5d413ee3.image.2

;)

Tony

Yeah those Keuka fish are hard to hook with a regular jig.  Relatively small mouths and they often just nip at the back. Either use a jigging spoon, a tube spoon rig, or add a stinger on your regular jig like tonyb said.  I like using size 2 or sometimes 4 octopus hooks and braid to tie it on.  Prep a few before going fishing. Tie it to the eye of the hook so you can replace the plastics and when baiting thread it just under the plastic in two places to keep it from tangling.

what are you using for a rod? I found that using identical line/leader/tackle set ups, when I used my 7' medium power xfast action baitcaster hooked up much more than my 6'9 medium light power/fast action spinning rod.

Just something else to consider.

Thanks guys! Stinger hook sounds like a great idea! Using my bass set up, baitcaster with a stiff 7' rod. You know one thing i noticed out of Penn Yan was that i got a ton of marks at 50 fow. I didn't really fish that depth because everything i've read indicates the lakers are going to be deeper. But after thinking about it maybe i missed out.  

Edited by jcar585

Those 50' marks were probably lakers...Reel steady ( not jigging) and fairly fast up through them and you'll get lots of hookups..

I have jigged Keuka a lot in the last few years and have had my best luck with jigging spoons equipped with trebles..I've tried the plastics and  miss LOTS of strikes, although I admit I have not experimented with stingers much...I go back to a simple jigging spoon and catch fish..

My go to lure is a 1 oz. chrome diamond jig..If they don't hit that, they probably aren't hitting.

I have also had good luck with Northland Buckshot spoons and 1 oz. kastmasters..

I'm sure that many other lures will work, but the diamond jig is cheap, effective, gets down quick and  has put 100s of fish in the boat for me and my fishing buddies.

BTW, many trout hit the jig on the drop after the snap... It can take some practice to detect the strikes... Develop a rythmn with your jigging...If anything feels different, SET THE HOOK...Often when a trout hits the lure on the drop, it will simply hesitate, or feel like you hit bottom.  If you are  few feet off bottom and it feels like you hit bottom, SET THE HOOK..Chances are it is a fish.

Another option.  Using a bait needle, run a 1 oz trolling sinker up inside a white ice tube and attach a sharp  #4 treble to the back end with a split ring.  Also I get most of my lakers on the retrieve., after hitting the bottom. sometimes fast, sometimes slow.

Good advice from those that know!..

I catch fish on Keuka with all types of jigs, including plain old large white Mr Twisters on a 1 oz head[Get the jig heads from Hermit,they are priced right, and are of superior quality]..

However, some days a 1 oz jigging spoon can't be beat.. I cut 1 of the barbs off the  large treble... Much easier to unhook fish without killing them, and still much better hookup rate than a single...
 SHARPEN YOUR HOOKS!!!! always, even when brand new,,

Also, on Keuka, I start fishing at very first light.. Earlier is better when laker jigging, especially on Keuka.. 7 am till about 10 am is prime time.. Some days they shut off later in the morning..

One more thing I have found and our friend Hermit has noticed the same thing.. The lakers don't always hit a standard jigging motion on slower days.. I think its because they are seeing it a lot the past several years.. I could be wrong.. I have been having better luck dropping the jig to the bottom, reeling it maybe 20-30 feet up at a decent clip, and then dropping it down and repeating,  I intersperse this  with standard jigging motion..

On Keuka, They will hit anywhere from right on the bottom in 150 feet, or will   slam  it a foot under the boat after following it all the way from bottom.. In Keuka there is NO dead zone.. Those fish can be anywhere at any depth , especially this time of year.. Keep hitting it, and you'll clean up before long, I promise... bob

Edited by bulletbob

Hi StuMan,

my store is at http://deepwater.cayugafisher.net.  Thanks for asking.

Also everyone, by this weekend I should have a larger ball jig on the same hooks as the 1 oz balls.  I'm doing the mold by hand so I'm not quite up to 1.5 but I should have a 1.25 by then.  I do have minnow heads in 1.5 oz. I'll have more details up on the site tomorrow I hope. (Friday)  Thanks all!

Alec

Edited by hermit