19 Strand = Leadcore

As many tournament fisherman have discovered recently Torpedo 19 strand stainless steel wire has the same sink rate as leadcore. 300 feet of Torpedo 19 strand wire and 10 colors of leadcore will sink to the same depth.

What is nice about the 19 strand wire in this application is there is no need for a special rod, don't need roller guides or a twili tip.

Interesting. However, I think most folks use wire along with a diver so the depth achieved is different that a ten color core. Also, often times I use leadcore at various core lengths attached to a board.

If you are only using 19 strand wire without a directional diver and you suggest a sink rate around 40' for 300' of wire, I would imagine the only place in a trolling presentation would be "down the chute" since you wouldn't be able to attach a board to the 19 strand without fraying it or destroying it.

Could you please help me understand what you are trying to suggest in your post?

Thanks very much,

Chris

The way we run it is we put a small swivel on the backing and attach the 19 strand to it, then on the business side we attach another swivel and attach the florocarbon.  Run it just like you would leadcore so you attach it to a board. If you feel that the sink rate for leadcore is 40' with 300 feet of leadcore out then the 19 strand will reach the same depth,  Basically you run it the same way you run copper.

Can attach the 19 strand to the board or can attach the backing to it. We have been using 19 strand for years on our downrigger rod and we attach it to pinch pads with no issues.

That's interesting. 10 colors of lead tho is still cheaper. Unless your saying that because of this your dipsy will dive deeper?

300 feet of 19 strand is $15 so it seems to be in the same price range. The main two differences I see is, wire is more fun to reel in, second you can fit 33 colors on a tekota 600 reel.

You can also use rubber bands on the wire in releases with the tension set right without kinking or fraying. I would wonder however if OVER TIME any wire would wear and subsequently degrade conventional tips and eyes - anything but say a titanium tip or guide. Metal on metal is almost always going to degrade, wear, or cut through the "softer metal". This might not be apparent (i.e. "sawing action" ) to the naked eye until a failure occurs.

Edited by Sk8man

Mathew - I remember you saying the 19 strand wasn't working well with Dawia 47's, but have you had people running it on Saltist with any issues? I'm looking to set up 2 deep rigger rods, and mono isn't going to cut it. I need something with little to no stretch.

Cool....probably the increased "rounded" nature of the line diameter reduces the friction and "sawing action" then....5 years should be an adequate test of it...

Mathew - I remember you saying the 19 strand wasn't working well with Dawia 47's, but have you had people running it on Saltist with any issues? I'm looking to set up 2 deep rigger rods, and mono isn't going to cut it. I need something with little to no stretch.

Ive been running wire on a saltis down rig reel for 3yrs now and haven't had any issues,we will run a 60 ft flor lead off of the wire and attach the down rigger release to the flor,

I don't think there's an issue with 47's themselves.  I did notice as I was spooling up a couple 47's with TD 19 strand this spring that since it is a bit thicker than 7 strand, the full 1000 foot spool does not fit on a 47, I could only get about 950' on the reel.

Tim

I've been ru ning the 19 strand on my diawa heartlands for three years now with no guide wear what so ever. When running like a lead core lkke mattnew said you can let the wire out and put a piece of mono inline before your backer to hook it on for the boards or like I do witn my rigger rods I run the offsnore red rigger releases right on the wire and they usually last a whole season and then I replace the pads at the end of the year anyways. Look me up this weekend rick and ill show you the wire rods I have set up. It works great for the way down deep fish

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The 19 strand today is not like the 19 strand years ago. Today's 19 strand can be used with all reels without issue.