On-Board Marine Battery Chargers

waterlogged

:?: I didn't know whether to post this here or in This Old Boat :?:

As most of you know we run a 90 hp outboard on our 19' Bluefin. We continually are needing to recharge our batteries each night so we can fish the next day. Sometimes this can cut our days short so we can get a full charge for the next days fishing.

Have been thinking about an On-Board Marine Battery Charger but don't know how they function. Is it something you plug into shore power or is it supposed to charge while on the water?

Our problem is that our motor currently does not provide enough output current to charge even the starting battery unless we are at nearly full throttle.

Will this On-Board Marine Battery Charger help or alleviate this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Clarke

I have had one on my bass boats for years. There are two types. The first one is one that you would plug in when you got home. You can get these in all shapes and sizes. Most are 6-10amps/bank (a bank is the amount of batteries you can charge with one charger), but I have had them up to 15 amps/bank. We all know slow charges are better, but when you need those batteries fresh the next morning after fishing all day the 15amps really shine.

The next one they make is one that charges your other batteries on the run/water. Once your motor charges your cranking batterie power is switched to the other batteries. This works fine on the run, but under a troll it wouldnt benefit you i dont think.

What you might want to try is hooking your batteries up in series. I know a bunch of guys who run 36v trolling motors and only use 3 batteries in the whole boat.

Your main motor should charge your starting battery with some throttle to the motor.A couple of questions.1.how many batterys do you have and how are they hooked up? 2.What do you have hooked up to these batterys(electric riggers,fish,finders etc.)I have a dual bank charging system that charges both my deep cycle batterys at the same time all I do is plug it in from the boat to a wall plug when it's done the charger stays on the boat and away you go it's always hooked up If you have room that would be the way to go.Here is what I have on my 19 footer it's the 100 model.Good luck you can't go wrong with type of charger.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

how many batteries do you have? one for the main motor, and one for the trolling motor, I have the on board charger also

just to charge my trolling motor, they main battery stays charged.

does your battery actually go dead out fishing? your alternater

should keep it charged.. I troll mostly with my electric which is really nice,,

that battery can last most of the day,, the battery for the main motor

never had a problem trolling for hours

anyway I just plug mine in when I need to.. it is a 2 bank,, like I said I do not have the main motor battery hooked up to it.. if it matters

I run a 70 outboard... sounds like an alternator to me... that is not charging the battery, I would take the alternator and get it tested, or do it your self with a meter..

Waterlogged, I have a 90Hp on my 19 footer too and have never had a battery problem except for just an older battery needing to be changed do to age. I agree with Kappy get it checked. There is a place that rebuilds them called Pro rebuilders that did my starter once. Great guys and it was much cheaper than buying a new one and I never had a problem after that.

They are located in Rochester off Lyell ave down near the Diplomat party house on Adelaide Street (#54) 585- 254-013

Good luck

Clarke: You very well could have a charging system problem. You shouldn't run the battery's down in a day. Your engine doesn't have an alternator that you can just take off and have checked. It works off the stator under the flywheel as a.c. voltage and then thru a combination converter/regulator to d.c. voltage then to the battery. It's a combination unit that also supplies voltage to the ignition. Unless you go hit or miss. Both components should be checked and tested on the boat with the engine running for an accurate test.

On another note: Are you running a pair of deep cycle/start battery's either 24 group or 27's depending on how much room you have and a switch .