Star craft islander

wehave a islander with a 4.3 L vortec gen 1 out drive we are having a lot of trouble adjusting the shifting linkage if we get it to go into forward it won't shift to reverse and vice versa any tips or help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Sent from my C771 u sing Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have trophy with same 4.3 merc. Have also had trouble with shift cable. In fact mines in shop right now being replaced. Mine didn't get stuck but would stall when going from forward to reverse and would also stick in reverse when put into neutral and I would have to go a bit into forward to actually get neutral.

The problem is the same with all cable shift engines. The oil in the cable housing dries up and shifting becomes harder and harder.Before replacing, which is easy and not very expensive, you can  loosen up both cables and pour thin oil (sewing machine oil) into the housing and allow the cables to loosen up. you should really have done that with every winterizing service

I have trophy with same 4.3 merc. Have also had trouble with shift cable. In fact mines in shop right now being replaced. Mine didn't get stuck but would stall when going from forward to reverse and would also stick in reverse when put into neutral and I would have to go a bit into forward to actually get neutral.

how much did this cost and where did you have it done?

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

how much did this cost and where did you have it done?

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Funny you ask. I actually just spoke with the mechanic this AM. After telling me last fall that my shift cable needed replaced, he now actually thinks that it was the IAC valve causing high idle and that the shift cable might be OK. I don't know the financial damage yet...going to pick up boat later today. Hes based in Pittsburgh