ss or braided line

ok im new to this and im setting up 4 new dippsy rods. i have 2 all set up and have the 40 pound test ss wire and done really like it. is there and advantage to the wire over the braided or is it about the same. any input would be greatly appreciated

Wire line takes some getting used to and braid is fine before the fleas hit. There are some advantages to each but the stranded wire is really the way to go for dipseys. It seems to track better and especially in the chute stays down on turns and  achieves better depth with less line out. It also doesn't have any stretch to it (can be good and bad). On the downside it can get away from you if you aren't careful and kink and if you have a kink you need to sever it and  go from there to re do it. Braided line is more "forgiving" and generally easier to work with (has a little stretch to it) and may be a little easier to use with planer board releases or outriggers etc. When the flea season begins I will change the braid to wire and then go all wire.

Edited by Sk8man

We use 40# power pro on our dipsey's. Yeah it is a pain during flea season, however it's nothing actively checking lines can't over come. I feel the pros outway the cons. We feel as we get very close to the same depths as wire, no special rod tip is needed, and braided has smaller diameter than wire so more line can be spooled if you desire. We also found that with wire when we got a rigger rod into it we often broke off or had to remove large sections due to abrasion and this hasn't happen at all with braided. However, you need to make sure the initial spooling is done tightly or your first big king will cause the braided line to bite into itself on the spool, giving you a big angry fish on the end off a very long hand line.