Henderson/Black River/Chaumont/Guffin: Reports

Hi All - I'm headed up to Black River Bay area with my wife to camp and stay for 4 days next weekend with our new boat.  We've never been up there before so I appreciate any help and insight to 'get on the fish' as soon as we can (my wife is no where near as patient as I am - so this would ensure that she enjoys the trip).  I realize its a big walleye fishery this time of year... I grew up on Lake Erie in Sandusky Bay so I have a fairly solid Walleye background.  I got an arsenal of tackle that covers Jigging, trolling harnesses/erie dearie's/bottom bouncers/deep diving rapalas, etc... Walleye are elusive so I know no single report is valid for more than a day or so until it completely changes.  That being said - for those that are most familiar with the fishery up there, is there a specific area/ridge/depth and technique that seems to be the go-to method more often than not?  I do see that it's calling for rain for 3-4 days before next weekend, so I'm expecting the water to be murky.  Probably have to break out the chartreuse colors for a while...

I'm more interested in hearing about any potential brown trout and salmon fishing in the area that's heating up.  We have an 18' Deep-V walk through so we have to be cautious and pay attention to weather outside of the bays... but is anything biting within the bays or not too far out? What seems to be working well this time of year?  I'm equipped with electric cannon downriggers, planar boards with mast, and can flat line with dipseys or snap weights too.  I'd really like to hook into some King's if they're around... some football brown's would be great too.

Thanks in advance for any tips, techniques, and insights as we prepare for this first trip in that area.

Regards,

-Devin

I also have a camp on pillar point with a brand new boat. Headed up in an hr for the tournament out of henderson. Did well the first hr before the sun comes up on walleyes opening weekend. lots of pike though. Who knows how it is now. Always do best with natural colors though. Caught walleyes anywhere from nearly snagging bottom with sticks to fish on top in 60' soo. Info is always limited for this area, especially with a tourny going on. Stoney point usually has consistant action for lakers in the trench. Did ok 2 weeks ago out there after walleye stopped biting. Spoons and flasher and fly work for them. Browns apparently are hard to come by this year so far. try and find schools of suspended fish and give them options. Bites and colors varied. For walleyes use sticks on planers. I will try and update you after weekend. I will also be back up next weekend for 4 days so my plans are to not only have success this weekend but be wired in for next weekend.

Hey sammyslayer thanks for all the info! I didn't realize there was a tourney upcoming... How's that going? Forecast shows rain M-F this upcoming week so I'm expecting some murky water by the weekend. You still suggest natural colors in these conditions? Good tip on the Laker trench... Will definitely try that out. Many Salmon in or near the bay or am I dreaming too hard about that one. Regardless, really looking forward to this trip!!!

Just got back from fishing the area 2 days.  I ran the boat from Maxico up to Henderson twice and fishing was Good one day and just ok second day. That being said....I know next to nothing about the Henderson area.

Friday I fished solo. Most of my time was spent out in front of the lighthouse down to Stoney creek.  I had 4 browns over 10lbs and maybe 6 smaller ones. Also caught 1 king about 15 lbs and one laker.  Most action was on various bright spoons ...king was on blk/silver 55 down over 60.

Saturday was slower, a lot slower.  Had two kids and we only managed 4 browns and two lakers with big brown weighing 13.2 lbs. All spoons, but they wanted nothing to do with orange Saturday with the clear water.

I spent most of my time outside the pack searching for suspended fish from 30 to 85 fow.  Most fish I picked up were 30 to 55 down.

The fishing is decent for sure...had a blast both days so have fun and hope for dirty water and the brown fishing should be awesome!

Good Luck!

Great trip and lots of success. Started friday in black river bay headed in from 65' off bull rock. Not one bite and fished all the same colors and lures from opening weekend and various depths until 9:30pm. Gave up on walleyes and pike and concentrated on stoney point for next 2 days. Sat was fantastic. Started off right at the start of the cliffs heading out towards stoney point pounding the shore with a mix of sticks, spoons and a flasher fly. didnt even make it 15 min before we had a double of browns, one on the flasher fly 10' under the boat. both fish over 10lbs. not even 5 min later another. switched to spoon set-ups and bounced all the sticks. made a couple passes threw the stretch with about 10 fish before it quieted down from the sun. headed deeper out on the finger and kept the action going all the way to the end of the finger. mixed catch of browns and lakers. lakers like the deeper water and browns were typically in the top 25'. Cant say any specific depth but 50-130' all had fish. browns were either 10-13lb range or "cookie cutters". Lakers averged 10lbs with a couple 12-14. Fished 2 sessions out there and ended the day 27 for 29 with 1 atlantic. no kings or cohos but didnt try for them. today was slower but fish were bigger. went 7 for 10 with 4 browns over 12 but none in the money. weighed our biggest in at 13.8 lbs at noon and called it. spoons were all stingers or stingrays off riggers, leadcore, and cowbells. hit fish on 14 different spoons and 3 different flys. gold and copper backed spoons took more. leadcore was huge in the arsenal with 2-5 colors outs. great trip cant wait for the weekend again. didnt see a ton of nets flying quite like ours and we watched. gonna try to disect the bay better this weekend.

Fellas - I plan on providing real-time reports in this thread throughout this weekend... Hopefully it helps!

I see Fri/Sat/Sun is N,NW winds... for those that know, is that a good thing?

With those winds, ESP if they are cranking, you will be better to stay in black river bay, or make the run around pillar point to Chaumount bay. Still a little early to call the wind speed yet. Just remember, the windward side will have the bait piled up on it... Good Luck

Capt. Rich

The winds wi make it "sporting" but we will find fish. It may male the bite hotter and easier to find fish along southern shore. The run will be a lot more fun!

Sent from my VS910 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

In black river bay still... No way headed out any further this weekend in my 17+' deep V. Lake is rough. Everleigh Point I think it's called? North shore of BRB. That's the name that showed up on my Nav card anyway. Im not familiar with the area at all... First time up here. I'd say it was a success. Thanks to sammyslayer for some tips. Was nice sharing reports in real time on the water and trolling the same route lines. 40-55 FOW and caught fish suspended between 15-28' all on riggers. Green/Black/Silver Stinger was the $ spoon.

In black river bay still... No way headed out any further this weekend in my 17+' deep V. Lake is rough. Everleigh Point I think it's called? North shore of BRB. That's the name that showed up on my Nav card anyway. Im not familiar with the area at all... First time up here. I'd say it was a success. Thanks to sammyslayer for some tips. Was nice sharing reports in real time on the water and trolling the same route lines. 40-55 FOW and caught fish suspended between 15-28' all on riggers. Green/Black/Silver Stinger was the $ spoon.

FleetTracker, I fish Black River Basin for years, we have a camper in Black river camp ground, I Haven't got up this year yet other than to open up, when you said you had some success trolling, were they walleye? if so grate to hear, I have a lot of success in that area, and in the river, I might be able to give you some info about that area if needed. Good luck, PAP.

Hi PAP! We're staying in the one cabin on the hill at the same campground. That's my Blue Tracker at the launch, if you're here now. We were targeting the browns this weekend on riggers with spoons but did end up with one walleye that nailed a rigger spoon. Pretty unexpected... But ill take it. Ill definitely be back up this way... Had a great time fishing this water for the first time!

post-151421-13696745615229_thumb.jpg

post-151421-13696746268987_thumb.jpg

post-151421-13696746463835_thumb.jpg

Great weekend besides sunday. went 9 for 9 saturday on browns right in the bay inside of bull rock. started the day off with a triple and only myself and cousin to handle the chaos of driving fighting and landing. most fish hit leadcore on planers and a few off riggers. all action all weekend was on stiners or stingrays. sunday the fish were still around but not active. fought the wind heading out of the bay and managed 1 small brown out in the middle between henderson and chaumont. Today it was stoney point time and no dissapointment. went 9 for 12 all off riggers with 1 laker landed as well. bite turned off around 9:00 and pulled it for the weekend. (cannon pedestal mount stripped on the way back and lost a mag 10...JUNK!)