Humminbird question

I bought a Humminbird 597 ci hd di.  I am having problems with the actual depth reading.  It sometimes reads 0 or 2 feet or so when I am trolling.  It does'nt matter if my fish hawk x4 is connected or the position of my 2 motors,  the speed I am going.  It even reads the wrong depth when I am sitting still.  I installed the transducer as per the instructions.  I am thinking one of the settings is wrong...any ideas?  

Sounds like some people have come up with some fixes for this problem or workarounds which I would certainly try and I hope work for you.  I had the same unit and repeatedly had the same issue when trolling, it would be fine then show 0-2 ft depth.  Somedays worse than others, worse in deeper water, sometimes fixed by powering on or off or going into shallower water.  I played with settings, had the unit checked by Humminbird, got a replacement unit , new transducers, rewired the whole thing and finally bought a Lowrance and haven't had a problem since.  I really hope you can figure the problem out cause I like Humminbird and never had a prob before this and the CS was great throughout but I just couldn't keep spending time trying to get it to just consistently read the bottom depth.  Certainly contact CS if problems persist, they were great although they never could fix the issue...    Good luck hope you figure out an easy fix, some good ideas on the thread Erabbit linked

Jason is correct,

I regret giving up my Furuno...it was flawless.  I had it set up as shoot through with an Airmar transducer glued inside the hull, and could run wide open and see what was under the boat just as well as when trolling at 2 MPH.  

It seems as though it is a glitch in the firmware Andy. Might want to see if they have a current "fix" on their website. The techs there must have an idea from the sound of it...seems like a generic problem.....hopefully it isn't a hard wired design flaw in the main chip or board... 

Sk8man good to see someone get back to helping with the problem he has know.......Andy I'm at camp now with the dog...... Sk8man makes a good point and that was one of the reason I went with HB a few years ago......

http://www.humminbird.com/

regester your unit on the site and then check to see if they have any updates to down load for your unit.....if so put in a blank sd card down load it , put your unit back to factory setting and put the sd card in.....updated....... now HB has sh*t for bottom line transducer and if you find out you need a new one upgrade to the quad 4 transducer ......

Erabbit good luck during the derby ...hope to meet up with ya in person maybe or see ya out there... tight lines!

Thanks guys...I changed a few of the settings...definately improved but still has issues...could not find  "noise filter" or" salt water" settings.  When I get more time later tonight I will go through the disk I received with it.  Good luck to all this weekend...My one goal is to get my 9 year old son on the board...he is a copper pullin mad man!!!

My pleasure...I learned a great deal...now if I can remember even half of it!!! :lol:   It was a great confidence builder.  Kinger is allways welcome in my boat...

Kinger is allways welcome in my boat...

I'll tell him , he's been worried all DAY....... :lol: ... :bandit:  then he can take the hoody off...... :rofl:  :P .....  you get any pictures of your box of fish ???

That X-4 deal sucked big time hope you can get it repaired......