Tow boat US

If any of you guys were thinking about signing up for it. It's really a no-brainer. I purchased the top-of-the-line coverage (i believe was $67~unlimited freshwater towing). I got towed from Mexico Pt to the Little Salmon River launch. This was a few weeks ago. I just got an invoice that it cost them $513. I figured it wasn't cheap...but my jaw dropped when I saw that figure. It's the best $67 you can spend!

I just renewed my agreement with BoatUS and the towing says it covers any boat i own, borrow or charter. I pay $125 per year and I boat I. The Atlantic Ocean, Chesapeake Bay and Lake Ontario. I needed a tow last May and the invoice was $1450. I paid nothing but the initial $125 for the towing coverage. I won't be without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X2, I have more than used up what I have or will ever put in a yrly fee. Broke down 22 miles offshore with a charter and towing wasn't an issue. Maybe Towboat US didn't realize I was a charter boat when I signed up but the operator (Know from the port) did and never mentioned anything about charter vs private tows. Maybe the policy changed? Anyway I never had a problem. Been towed 4 times. Twice due to the shaft breaking and twice due to water cooling failure, my fault leaving dock forgot to open seacock....hey straight inboards were new to me, lol. Also wrapped anchor line while tuna fishing. They dove and cut it off- no charge to me!

Well worth it IMO.

Spike

Both of my boats are covered on the same policy. You can check locations of TowBoatUS on the Tow tab on the BoatUS website.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

Shouldn't the Coast Gaurd or Sheriff tow us.  After all we pay a lot of taxes.  They are suppose to work for us.

That's kind of a sore point, discussed here previously. 

Technically, the Coast Guard and/or county will only tow if you are in eminent danger or you present a danger to other boaters/shipping.  Towboat US is in business to assist the rest.  In many places, that's it for choices unless you can get a tow from a fellow boater.  Here, the county and CG will generally assist whenever asked - but that cuts directly into the business of the local TowBoat US franchise owner (who I think I've seen on LOU).  I see both sides but it's an uneasy truce...     

2 weekes ago we were stuck off Wilson and towboat US told me it was a 3 hour minimum for someone to get to us. Unless there is a boat where you "normally" fish out of, it could be a pain.

• 8 years later...
On 5/22/2013 at 1:37 PM, bandrus1 said:

And I believe by law any fellow boater is by law responsible to assist a distressed boat

In the United States, a federal statute (46 U.S. Code sec. 2304) requires the master of any vessel subject to U.S. jurisdiction to “render assistance to any individual found at sea in danger of being lost,” so long as the assistance can be rendered without endangering the rescuing vessel or individuals on board. This law is a part of an international treaty (the International Convention on Salvage, 1989) which extends the obligation to mariners throughout the world. The statute includes criminal penalties that may include jail time for failing to render assistance.