Help! First time with my new toy and it's all burnt out

Goatboy

HEy all

Ok keep in mind it's my first boat And I saved 9 years of bonusses to bye it.

I need Help. It would seem I inadvertantly blew out my impelar when I took my boat out of storage this spring (who new you can colapse a garden hose if you bring the RPM up past 1500). Everything was fine at home hooked up to the hose but when I got it in the lake my engine overheated. I pulled it back out and replaced the impelar and thermostat then put it back in .Now I have two wet plugs and chocolate milfk for OIL in my 4.3L V6. My guess is a blown head gasket.... possibly warped head on the right side. Now its not my first Head gasket or engine job... but I normaly work on dry land. 

So here is my question. If I pull the heads and the hoses off and my boat and it is till in the water, will it sink?

I know this is a foolish question but wouldn't you know I can't find the answer on the net. I was about to start when my spider senses start tingling. What is hloding all of the water in the lake? The Impelar? Is there a valve I have to close?

IF anyone can stop laughing long enough to answer me it would be greatly aprecated.

Thanks

Was your boat properly winterized before you stored. Do you think there is the possibility that the block is cracked?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by hooknup

I'm not real familiar with I/O's but if it were me the first thing I'd do is get it on dry land just to carefully look everything over and be able to get at everything easily and to be able to run someplace for parts without worrying etc. Working on the water on boats can be a real pain in the butt (unless you have no other choice).

save yourself alot of agrivation and do it on land perferably in a garage. heaven only knows what you are going to run into when you start taking it apart. i always find that if you have a good lpace to work and are comfotrable the job seems to go better  this way its out of the weather and so are you if it takes longer than you think. which it usually does. just my thoughts.

Did you find out the problem with the boat? Usually what you described is nothing more than a 2.00 exhaust riser gasket that they stock at west marine. If you have any questions let me know.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Water used to flow down hill.  Is your engine above the water line? 

Tom B.

(LongLine)  

Your point is valid, but would the engine still be above the water line if he had help on the boat...say 2 or 3 or 4   

big guys looking it over?  personally I do not know if water could or would backfill into the boat!

Update!!

Well I found a cracked Head on the port side - 385.00

all new gaskets - 250.00

New plugs - 25.oo

two oil and filter changes = 60.00

An expensive lesson to learn and i'm not done. 

I put here back in yesterday and I hit 31mph at 3500 rpm

But the oil presure is high. 60psi at idle 75 to 80 at 3500 rpm Droped a can of seaform in the oil to help clean out any crude in the oil passages ????? I don't know..... I hope I don't have to yank the engine to change the oil pump for a stuck relief valve. I might change the Oil to a lighter one say 10W40 or 5W20??? 

anybody else have the same engine ?? Whats your oil PSI running at?

We had a 1998 350 mag engine and our oil pressure ran from 20 at idle to near 80 at 3600. We never ran her over 3600. We just repowered with a 2012 350 mag and the oil pressure ranges from around 14 at idle to near 80 at 3500 and even on short bursts to 4600.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

Update!!

Well I found a cracked Head on the port side - 385.00

all new gaskets - 250.00

New plugs - 25.oo

two oil and filter changes = 60.00

An expensive lesson to learn and i'm not done.

I put here back in yesterday and I hit 31mph at 3500 rpm

But the oil presure is high. 60psi at idle 75 to 80 at 3500 rpm Droped a can of seaform in the oil to help clean out any crude in the oil passages ????? I don't know..... I hope I don't have to yank the engine to change the oil pump for a stuck relief valve. I might change the Oil to a lighter one say 10W40 or 5W20???

anybody else have the same engine ?? Whats your oil PSI running at?

If it fluctuates you're good.it's when it is one pressure all the time you have problems. Is this a factory oil pressure gauge? If so then I'm sure it is much lower than it is reading.

Sent from the awesomeness of Chas!

Edited by Chas0218