Another Rochester report 5/18

The fishing off Rochester continues to live up to its reputation....Solid...... Yesterday we had a group that included some up an coming Lake Ontario trollers. These young men caught on very quickly, asked a lot of questions (which I was happy to answer) and really showed some enthusiasm. Its really nice to see kids get excited about our sport....

Well we ran out in search of a temperature break and ran into a nice scum line with a 4 degree break on the surface. Threw out the basic Steel head stuff ( red spoons on high riggers,Red spoons on  weighted planer board rods) and some flasher fly king stuff which never took a hit. First fish of the day was a mid-upper teens king. The spring shark gave the young man an epic battle. Like a pro, he brought the fish in for the ice chest nap. As the day went on, they landed several big Lakers, and a few steelhead. It was pretty cool catching those pig Lakers so close to the surface. Most of the fish were released, however the ones who were gill hooked were kept. We ended the day something like 12 for 16. Not bad for a half day.

I love the diversity that the waters off Rochester and Monroe county holds....Tight lines.....

post-139783-0-90339300-1368987672_thumb.jpgpost-139783-0-26035500-1368987626_thumb.jpgpost-139783-0-15603400-1368987579_thumb.jpgpost-139783-0-83471400-1368987539_thumb.jpg

Great report Matt!

Love the pic of the king. It's funny how you had a very similar experience as us - the classic flasher/fly stuff never took a hit for you and me (other than my 300' copper pulling a flasher/fly). It was only a spoon bite and mainly our junk lines far from the boat that took fish today. That being said - it was reds/oranges on the surface, and the lakers and steelhead that saved us with decent numbers today.

I look forward to the time when the mother lode of kings migrate closer to home like last year when some trips we had 20-30 bites.

Be safe and good luck on the water my friend,

Chris