I spent the last few weeks fishing lakers, it seemed like that was all there was going on until about two weeks ago. I was not about to take my 8 year old with me last weekend, the water seemed a little too much. I have not seen or heard anything out of the area so here was my thought process. 1) I was not going to get up early enough to get at a good brown run. 2) I like lakers, but caught enough already this spring and me and my son have never caugt a steelhead. I decided to see if the steelhead are still around. I mentioned before i am new to Sodus so until I meet some people im pretty much on my own. I thought I would post the good and bad. I think posting what didnt work could be just as usefull, or show that I cant fish!

We started with the lines down around 6:15, fished from 180 - 280 and back to about 150. I didnt mark much of anything or get anything to release. I tried every direction and lure combination for about three hours and struck out. I decided to go out to about 350 feet and see if anything was deep. Got out there and my depth finder stopped working! The gps map showed somewhere around 360 feet of water NW of the lighthouse. Trolled for about an hour and a half. We boated one steelhead, had another close to the boat before it jumped and spit out the hook. Had two more hard releases and went in. It was my sons first steelhead so he was trilled, I was happy that my 8 year old could fish for 5 hours, get one fish and be happy!

The steelhead we boated was on an orange and yellow thunderstick off the surface. The one he fought for a few minutes was on a Blue Dolphin, the other hits were on a black/white flasher fly and a natural born killer, all 70-80 feet down off the riggers.

I did hear the browns were great early saturay and decent this morning. A captain I spoke with did browns early and then lakers when it died down and had some success. He had 7 today...3 browns early and then 4 lakers. Yesterday he said he slammed the browns early (14) and then a few lakers later. Ill be out again memorial day weekend.

Ryon,

Welcome to Sodus!  We'll be back in town next weekend.  Stop by Arneys Marina, there's a good group of fisherman there always willing to show people the ropes.  We're usually on Ch9 out there. 

Nick

I am also still trying to figure out the lake and the area west to Sodus. I launch out of Hughes because it is closer to where I live. I usually monitor the radio on various channels. I will start watching channel 9 for more information.

Can you offer some advice on what is working for lakers? I know some of the captains use this as there go to fish when they are not getting a lot of bites. I would like to find that action better when things are slow like they have been for me.

Thanks,

Tom