hole in alpha 1 gen 1

fieromx3

so i just upgraded my mc-1 drive to an alpha 1 gen 1 lower unit. there is a little hole on the botton near the skeg. its leaking gear oil... on my grandparents driveway yay. my mc-1 lower did not have this. it doesnt look to be threaded for a set screw or anything. from what i have read it seems to be a vent hole?? i have no idea i cant find much of anything on it. anyone know what it is???

I had a similar problem earlier this season with the small vent hole having oil dripping from it onto my driveway, which is intented to drain water from the lower unit, not oil.  The problem was with a small seal/gasket between the lower unit and the upper outdrive that ended being folded over (not seated properly) allowing the oil to get into where only water should be.  Not sure if this is what your issue is, but sounds a lot like what happened to me.  Fixed the gasket and the problem is gone. 

Edited by ReelLaxing

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think the hole you are referring to (on the starboard side of the lower unit) is a drain hole (no threads, no nut in there) which drains water from the cavity in front of the shift shaft which sits forward of the main drive shaft. I think it's meant to drain water from that cavity of the shift shaft.

If you have oil flowing from this hole, you have a bad seal somewhere - could be coming from the upper unit, shift shaft seal, etc.

Call a good boat mechanic and I'm sure they can set you straight in about ten seconds.

Good luck,

Chris