5/21 Conesus

Hey all.

Going to try my hand at some pike tomorrow. Kinda new at the pike thing.  I mostly catch them when fishing for Bass.  Could use some advice.

My plan was to be on the water around 7 (could go earlier, not sure?) I know the spawn is over, so I am expecting the pike to be deeper.  I was thinking of hitting the bank just north of McPherson pt., dropping some weedless jigs and just working them in slow hops along the drop off. 

Other than that, I just dont know the lake very well, and Pike barely at all.  Any help/suggestions would be great!  Thanks in advance

Joshua

plan sounds solid enough. try the bay at the boat launch. there is a very productive drop off about 75 yards south of the launch. I've caught a lot of nice bass there fishing for esox;no reason you won't catch esox there with a bass approach. with today's heat and the approaching thunderstorms don't rule out the shallow water.

plan sounds solid enough. try the bay at the boat launch. there is a very productive drop off about 75 yards south of the launch. I've caught a lot of nice bass there fishing for esox;no reason you won't catch esox there with a bass approach. with today's heat and the approaching thunderstorms don't rule out the shallow water.

Thanks!

I'm looking at the Topo map, and I think I see where you mean. 

I'm also curious about color.  From what I understand, considering everything will be overcast and visibility will be poor, I should go with lighter colors. (white jigs, chartruese stickbaits.. etc)  This seems opposite from what I know, but is the prevelent strategy I am finding online.

Thoughts?

bleh.

I've confirmed that I dont know anything about Pike fishing.  Ran from 7am to 1pm and hit a total of 2 pike (1 boated, one shook off) and 1 sunny.

Tried pretty much every strategy I've read about, light and dark colors, deep/shallow/ledges. Nada.

Both pike came off of shallow, 4-5fow, rocky bottom clear of weeds. One on the east side right off mcpherson's point, the other directly across the lake on the west side.

It's frustrating! The finder was full of fish, just dont know what they were or what they wanted.

help?

I also have been to Conesus Lake twice this year and the nothern pike & tiger muskie fishing has been very tough.For 17 hours total fishing time we have one 22" northern pike caught and 3 that got off close to the boat.Usualy this time of the year on the south end by the inlet,the drop edges are very good places to catch numbers of northern pike at least,not for me this year.I'm seeing more fish suspended out over 45 ft of water 20 ft down around bait fish schools,but they have not been active at all.58.5 degrees surface water temp near the inlet,66.5 degrees water surface temp near the launch and 68 degree surface water temp in McPherson Bay.

I think from now till the 3rd Saturday in June I will head for NW Pa lakes for purebred muskies.

I have seen the same thing this season at Otisco with the fish suspended off shore and its been a slow pick. The people I have talked to that fished the shallower traditional spring spots have come up zero. If it was easy it would be bass fishing.

justin

Larry, Cullen and I have been doing really well with phantom softails and small Leos. I did lose my lucky softail to a big toothy on Sunday tho. 150lb floro sliced through like butter, twice is enough for me, I will only use floro for trolling from here on out. I'm guessing the fish hit head on when the bait was on a pause off to one side, the leader was prly lying right along side the bait and the hookset put it through the shredder. Only a couple tigers but plenty of pike to 35" or so. -John