Otisco Lake Walleye 5/16 - 5-19

Tracy and I got out friday evening after we made camp and were rewarded with our first Otisco eye of the year, a 27.5" beauty.  All in all it was a slow weekend we managed 10 bites.  We landed 4 walleye from 21-27.5, 4 tiger muskies from 28-38, lost 1 walleye and 1 huge brown when my split ring failed on a Taildancer 11.  Perch patterns down 28-35 over 50-65 fow got every bite.  There were 2 other boats using the same pattern and I know they picked up 5 more walleye with an avg around 24"  Otisco is always a slow pick for me, but for quality walleyes its a great choice.  For numbers its hard to beat the susquehanna or oneida, but I love going after the bigger walleyes.

justin and tracy[

post-151276-0-80114600-1369153186_thumb.jpg

Do you usually run down riggers or leadcore and divers?  When we go to Erie, we do well with the core, copper and divers but not much on the riggers.  Mostly sticks or spoons?

I run riggers and big boards.  I use sticks almost always, and if i use spoons or harnesses Ill pull em down with riggers or 3 way with the crankbaits.  I use snap weights and dipseys if needed but never tried leadcore.  I prefer the diving crankbaits to everything as they arent speed dependant and they are easy to control the depth precisely

What size sticks? We use mainly harnesses, renosky's, rapalas, and some stinger scorpions in perch, firetiger, black and silver, and purple.  Wire or braid dipsy's?  We also, tip the sticks with a small piece of crawler on the front hook

I prefer the large deep reef runners, deep taildancers and magnum wally divers.  In the summer I go away from the reef runners as you cant run them fast enough.  I run alot of lines as otisco is 3 per angler and use a variety until something works, and then zero in on a pattern theoretically.  If you can just catch 1....

justin

Fishin Freak, I primarily troll the west side points, but caught 1 today in the south end in the middle. There a plenty of ways to troll Otisco and I think the walleye can be caught anywhere in the lake. I focus on the deep water fish suspended 25+ feet down in 40-60 feet. Its an easy lake to find schools of bait I just troll the breakline of the lake floor and look for schools of bait. I troll the bottom of the bait. After that its time and pressure, and lots of patience. If you let me know when your goin I can prob get you on em assuming I can get me on em!

justin

Tracy and I got out friday evening after we made camp and were rewarded with our first Otisco eye of the year, a 27.5" beauty.  All in all it was a slow weekend we managed 10 bites.  We landed 4 walleye from 21-27.5, 4 tiger muskies from 28-38, lost 1 walleye and 1 huge brown when my split ring failed on a Taildancer 11.  Perch patterns down 28-35 over 50-65 fow got every bite.  There were 2 other boats using the same pattern and I know they picked up 5 more walleye with an avg around 24"  Otisco is always a slow pick for me, but for quality walleyes its a great choice.  For numbers its hard to beat the susquehanna or oneida, but I love going after the bigger walleyes.

justin and tracy[

attachicon.gif003.JPG

That's a slob!

I use otisco lake campground and marina, but both are open.  Ive been doing well 1.5-1.7 Gps speed.  I recommend real early or into the evening as the days with sunshine have been very slow except for the tigers.  Ill be there sunday and out by 5  give me a shout you cant miss me trolling in a pontoon with big boards and riggers.                                          

First of all I have heard people say big walleyes arent great tablefare, that is simply untrue.  These are stocked mostly non-reproducing fish that are perfect to harvest guilt free.  We have caught 30-40 big walleyes from otisco lake and everyone of them was delicious.  I dont use steel leaders.  I run 20 lb copolymer pline for leader and 30 lb braid for main line.  You have to change leaders after every muskie and check it after every walleye, and check split rings and hooks too.  There is actually a nite time casting bite at Otisco right now if you know where to go they are slurping alewives.  Over 30 fish I know of caught friday saturday sunday and monday nights just this past weekend. HAVE to retie after every fish casting light tackle

. Worms are fine on a harness, but its a stickbait bite now mostly

justin

We usually do well at otisco for big eyes on the east side trolling in 20 FOW with lindys worm harnesses. Have also done great on the west side as well.Have not gotten a chance to hit it yet this year and after looking at these pics it looks like the bite is on!

Went out and casted last night with a buddy till 3am not one walleye.  We werre on the bait big time.  Matt caught a 22.5" largemouth and a 37 " tiger which was a ball.  Couple other boats most everyone caught bass and 1 guy had a walleye. i'll try it again tonight.

justin

• 2 weeks later...

Do you usually run down riggers or leadcore and divers?  When we go to Erie, we do well with the core, copper and divers but not much on the riggers.  Mostly sticks or spoons?

I like using lead core with or without boards just like you would on Erie..