First weekend on the "north shore"

Up until this weekend, all my king fishing had been down on the south shore. Fishing had been spotty this spring, having outings with six or seven kings and others scraping by with one king. I do love it down there as I can always tangle with the browns when the kings aren't active or around, but really, nothing beats fighting fish in your own back yard, which is where I was this weekend.

I fished Sunday from 10am until 5pm and Monday from 6am until 2pm.

Like most boats I found lake trout more than willing to take my offerings....which generally included a spin doctor and spoon combo set 5' off bottom. However, I was able to "sorta" put a King pattern together, taking five kings in the two days, only using a 2 rod spread consisting of a rigger / dipsy, rigger / rigger, or dipsy / dipsy pattern.

Three of the five kings came off the braid dipsy, one off a 300' copper, and the fifth on a rigger set 75' over 110'.

Habinero spin doctors seemed to do best, however, the biggest fish came off the ole faithful glow frog spinny.

As tough as it has been up here, the weeks weather should throw off the fishing even more.

Have fun ou there everyone!

img1113w.jpg

img1112sl.jpg

burlington2013051900244.jpg

img1118fl.jpg

img1114bc.jpg

Good mix with the area otherwise populated with lake trout (and some beauties at that!!!)

Up until this weekend, all my king fishing had been down on the south shore. Fishing had been spotty this spring, having outings with six or seven kings and others scraping by with one king. I do love it down there as I can always tangle with the browns when the kings aren't active or around, but really, nothing beats fighting fish in your own back yard, which is where I was this weekend.

I fished Sunday from 10am until 5pm and Monday from 6am until 2pm.

Like most boats I found lake trout more than willing to take my offerings....which generally included a spin doctor and spoon combo set 5' off bottom. However, I was able to "sorta" put a King pattern together, taking five kings in the two days, only using a 2 rod spread consisting of a rigger / dipsy, rigger / rigger, or dipsy / dipsy pattern.

Three of the five kings came off the braid dipsy, one off a 300' copper, and the fifth on a rigger set 75' over 110'.

Habinero spin doctors seemed to do best, however, the biggest fish came off the ole faithful glow frog spinny.

As tough as it has been up here, the weeks weather should throw off the fishing even more.

Have fun ou there everyone!

img1113w.jpg

img1112sl.jpg

burlington2013051900244.jpg

img1118fl.jpg

img1114bc.jpg

Good mix with the area otherwise populated with lake trout (and some beauties at that!!!)

nice fish! first year going after the salmon out of Bronte. what was your general area you were working?

Yea surprised no Spoon Puller post!

Either way this is the Steve I'm familiar with... picture after picture of awesome kings. I haven't made the trip up this year cuz it hadn't seemed like the fishing had heated up out of Hamilton yet.

wish i could have been out there this morning.....but drove down, had a look at the lake, and went for breakfast instead.

this weekend's winds aren't very kind.

thanks for the kind words.

things are starting to heat up....just gotta keep the faith.

they are there - they truly are - just have to work for them.....