Copper trolling depth numbers

Heres the first batch of copper trolling depth numbers from Blood Run Tackle, tested and confirmed using the new Smarttroll unit. These numbers are at 2.5 mph.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-139598-13693608136721_thumb.jpg

Rick here is the source.  A good read and very interesting.  I have some personal numbers on the 60 copper that is just outstanding if you are a deep copper fisherman.  We should be seeing some more data soon at slower speeds.  Here is the link:

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?p=132182#post132182

Just to clarify I am on the Blood Run pro staff but the product flat out works. 

OK, I did see that. The point I was leading to is that current and thermoclines will affect the depth curve, and if those numbers were taken in April, because I know they did some extensive testing off Pultneyville in April, then that variable would have been out of the equation.

I am with you Rick, I have some reservations about the smart troll thing myself.  To me the true test is to run it in all conditions and let it hit the bottom.  Keep records and over time build your own dive curve.  I have played with the 60 pd for the last month and I am starting to get a handle on it, in my own spread.

The cool thing, I think, about the Smart Troll there is no need for a chart to be memorized, or written down. If it works like it's supposed to you can have up to 6 probes in the water giving you real live data so you can adjust your spread.

Edited by Yankee Troller

I'm sure that probe must have some kind of resistance while being trolled just like putting on a paddle will make it run higher. I would bet these #'s would be good to use for the paddles.Lots of variables for sure.

I'm not criticizeing the authors results. . Just saying it throws a monkey wrench into past theory. To say the fish must come up to hit high riding junk rods then should translate to riggers as well. Idk.

Current. .turns..wave action against the board all factor in.

I would rather be on the high side of the fish if I don't know exactly where my copper is running anyway.

I wonder what the old timers are thinking when you say their ten color isn't running 40/45. I predict a long running thread!! Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think the grand conclusion is..................

Use what has always worked for ya no matter where the new info says it is running

I would agree with this! 

I spoke with Gregg about his test and he told me did everything he could to find stable water.  He ran 12 miles offshore found a surface temp of 43deg, down 50 was 42deg and down 100 it was 41 deg.  That is pretty stable water all things considered. 

Edited by Tall Tails

Bandrus - I think your comment is spot on!

However......and there's always a however......if this information can turn a 5-10 hit day into a 30 hit day, then it might change my thinking......

Awesome stuff - I hope folks with start to gather depth data on Atomik 45# copper as well as wire divers and possibly even snap weight data.

Thanks to everyone for sharing such useful information,

Chris

Bandrus - I think your comment is spot on!

However......and there's always a however......if this information can turn a 5-10 hit day into a 30 hit day, then it might change my thinking......

Awesome stuff - I hope folks with start to gather depth data on Atomik 45# copper as well as wire divers and possibly even snap weight data.

Thanks to everyone for sharing such useful information,

Chris

The tests were done primarily with Blood Run, though we wanted to debunk the myth of different brands of copper running deeper.   So there was a Morgans copper and Atomik copper also pulled to verify.    All three brands of copper ran within 2 feet of each other at various depths.

There was no current, no thermocline as well.    

The tests were done primarily with Blood Run, though we wanted to debunk the myth of different brands of copper running deeper.   So there was a Morgans copper and Atomik copper also pulled to verify.    All three brands of copper ran within 2 feet of each other at various depths.

There was no current, no thermocline as well.    

Thanks for this very important piece of information!!

Good luck on the water,

Chris

Thanks a lot for this data, all great info keep it coming we all really appreciate the feed back. I for one am on the smart troll wagon, but for two reasons will wait until next year to buy.

1. I have already used up my budget for this season or should I say my wife's budget.... lol.  

2. Just like any new high-tech electronics there are always bugs to work out, so for now, even though it's hard to do, I will remain patient and wait one more year.

I will say I'm a little jealous, I would love to have one now, but willing to wait. Thanks again for all the great info, if you do compile info regarding divers, I would really be interested.   

Wow. That 60lb really separates itself once it gets longer than 300', that's impressive. quite a bit more depth with less line out. 

Edited by DJ 717

Wow. That 60lb really separates itself once it gets longer than 300', that's impressive. quite a bit more depth with less line out. 

It was brought to market specifically for Lake O anglers.   However, as this discussion continues on, do not forget how many fish you have caught on your 200, 300, 400 coppers.   Why?   It shows a pattern of kings having no issue with rising to strike  a high presentation, regardless of water temp.   On Lake Michigan we regularly catch kings in 65 degree water.

The poster above who mentioned that this should translate to rigger hits up high as well...not the case.   Kings feed on presentations at different layers of the water column for different reasons at different times.   That is why you need a big spread of all three...wire divers, riggers and coppers.   Various times within the day, kings will pick out one of these presentations..but not others.    Sometimes they want all three, sometimes two, sometimes just one of them.

Whatever they want for that day, or at that time, you should have as many of them out there as possible.  Don't focus on the depth, focus on the fact that they are picking out that presentation at that layer and put more of it out.   We run three divers a side when they are hot on divers.   We run 5 coppers a side when they are hot on coppers.   We cycle multiple rigger rods when the rigger bite is hot.   Adapt throughout the day and you will double or triple your catch.