Fixed slider clip release

I didn't want to ask, what is a fixed slider clip/release in Bob's Boys amazing and well equipped posts, everyone is so glued to this masterpiece of put togethers I know I will certainly miss all the action when it's all over. So I started a new thread and so my question is what is a fixed slider release? where would one use this piece? I never used such a thing, or heard of it. would appreciate any info on this as I am curious to hear what it is and where it would be used, thanks PAP.

A slider is a secondary leader attached to your main downrigger rod line usually with a swivel at each end of a (usually) short section of line (fluoro or mono) with a lure at one end. It can be either "free floating" or "fixed". If it is free floating it roams up and down the main line that your other lure is on....sometimes staying in the belly of the line but varying with speed of the boat and turns etc. You let your main line and lure out to the desired distance from your downrigger weight and run that lure down 10 or 15 ft. or so (depends on type of lure too). Then you attach the non lure end of the slider to your main line and let it (the leader with lure) sink down the main  line. Thus you have two lures running from one downrigger rod. If it is fixed you use a release of some sort (can be various types that clip to your downrigger cable even as simple as a fairly weak rubber band) to keep it in one place on your downrigger cable with the other end with the lure (usually a flutter spoon) on it staying put... then when a fish hits the lure at the end of the slider it releases (e..g. breaks the rubber band) and slides down your main line and the swivel and lure of your main line prevents it from coming off your line Hopefully you then net the fish :)  Once you actually SEE it done firsthand it will be a lot simpler than this description but it is one of those things that isn't easily conveyed in words I guess. TIP: keep the slider (regardless of type) a little shorter than your rod length so that when you go to net the fish you can reach it....especially if you fish by yourself :)

The slider clip release can be many things but most of them clip one end to the downrigger cable and the other attaches to the slider leader (e.g. rubber band tied to line or line held in jaws of plastic clothes pin with rubber inserts or various commercial designs etc.)

Edited by Sk8man

The "fixed" is very simple. Sk8man detailed description was a little confusing to me in some instances.

I use about 5' of fishing line with a swivel at each end. One swivel attaches to the lure and the other to the main fishing line (not downrigger cable). Set the main line with lure attached and drop down a desired height for the slider position desired (15 ft. ?). Attach a rubber band to the main line (#16 is what I use) near the rod tip. Take the free swivel from the slider line and clip through the rubber band and around the main line. The slider is now "fixed" at your desired height  above the ball by the rubber band. Lower the entire set-up to the desired fishing depth and load-up your rod in the rod-holder. Your main lure will be traveling at the selected depth with a slider lure 15 ft. above. That 15 ft. difference always remains the same no matter how much you raise or lower the ball. When a fish takes the slider bait it snaps the rubber band and allows the swivel to slide down along the main line to the main line lure.

A "shaker" fish may not cause the main line to release from it's clip, but you know he's there because your rod tip bounces. Pop the main line free, reel real fast until the slider has slid all the way down to main-line lure.

At this point you are fighting the fish with your rod. A bigger fish will break the rubber band and release the main line from it's clip in one swipe (reel fast until you feel the fish or SEE THE LURE-slack line allows a fish to spit the lure)). When netting your catch, the main line lure will come in first with the slider lure 5 ft. behind. If the fish is on the slider, be careful you don't tangle the hooks of the main line in your net before you net the fish that is on the slider. Tangling those hooks in the net typically causes a released fish on the slider.

Real simple way to make fixed slider rigs is to dip or cover a duo lock snap in Dip-it  plier handle plastic  or hot glue & knife cut a slit in it .At one end of the leader tie a snap bearing swivel (lure) & at the opposite end tie in the coated duo-lock. When you set the Slider(cheater) and close the snap the plastic will not allow it to slide & if it does, it will not damage the main line. No rubber bands needed. It also helps to set the hook And will normally make its way to the bottom lure. Very effective!     Capt. Randy 

Thanks to all that cleared this new to me set up, it sounds quite effective and a easy way to add another weapon to the game. When I recover from my fall off the ladder 6/8 weeks, I will definately give this a shot. Thanks again folks, this site is full of great guys with a wealth of information!!!!! PAP

Pap, I've gotten lots of questions about sliders, never be afraid to post questions to my reports, I'll always help when I can, and if I can't there are plenty of others that will jump in to help!

Here's a video I made on free sliding cheaters. I have one on fixed cheaters, but will need to dig it up off my home computer when I get back home.

Don,

Sorry I confused you but the fixed slider releases I use do go on the DOWNRIGGER CABLE so that it stays at that depth no matter what the main line/lure does. These releases can also be used to STACK rods on one downrigger. The wire part is used normally for catfish trot lines or long lines IT ATTACHES TO THE DOWNRIGGERCABLE (it won't pull off the cable and rides up it fine when you bring the cable up). The rest  of the components shouldn't need explanation. Here are the pics that I didn't have at the time of my response and I didn't want to get into details of descriptions etc.

pic 1 is the setup (the rubber band is only used because of size for pic I actually use the little ones used for girls hair resembling the ones used for teeth braces)

and pic 2 has other options for clasping the rubber band.

Yes you can (and I have) use just rubber bands on the main line but the second options will release with or without the rubber band breaking

post-145411-0-38561100-1369606355_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-16863400-1369606369_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man