kicker charging systems on honda's

salmonite

anyone have one of these that can tell me how to hook it to my battery so i dont blow anything up? I see its got the plug but do i just run wires to my battery? What gauge wire should i buy?

Edited by salmonite

I did the full install on a motor that didn't have a charge system to begin with and ended up just buying the female end section. Got the part # from Honda and found it off iboats or boats.net for like $18. It wasn't worth it to me to make my own (had wire/terminals/butt connectors already) but wanted it finished nicely after the whole install.

Edited by Meals-On-Reels

boats.net sucks that is why i am asking... i ordered one and of course got the wrong one. Now everytime i call to get a new one i am on hold for at least 20minutes waiting for somebody that actually knows what they are talking about. which is hit or miss. Two times i have called the guy was so confused that he "said" he would call me back.  So i was hoping i could do it easliy with spare wire laying around but i guess i will call them and waste the next 30 minutes of my life

Edited by salmonite

I sold the Honda so I'm not really much help. Sorry. That's exactly what mine looked like though.

Get me the serial number off your motor and I'll dig into it. Those guys are total tools at those places and have no clue. After a few times I just started getting my own part numbers off the teardown schematics. I've had good luck even with orders of 20-30 parts for rebuilds and stuff.

Oh- and thanks. We always ran our boat nameless and then needed one ASAP for a tournament registration. We were surprised we couldn't dig up anybody ever using it from searches online. Lol

Salmonite- here's the part I had

#^*#@$- damn, can't figure how to link a pic here while using my phone!

Part was 31652-881-024

It's just the receptacle and you run your own wire. It comes out really nice and is waterproof, without just bypassing it and having wires hang out loose from the lower cowl.

Search that part on boats.net and take a look. It's $11.66. Still get me your serial if you want to verify.

Edit- Is that part 31575-ZW9-000 in your pic (square style)? So wrong... Sorry they keep giving you the run-around.

Edited by Meals-On-Reels

Yeah I got the male too... Then lets start with how my charging cable connects to the male? I thought the male was just there to protect the female till you bought charging cable

Edited by salmonite

The center of the male part pops out and has terminals on the back. Pop out the center part and set it aside. Take the outer rubbery portion to Home Depot and find a shielded cable that fits through the hole in the back (I think I used a 20A extension cord I found in black, but think the charge system is only like 6A so use whatever works).

Take it home and thread your cable through the rubbery outer part so you have like a foot sticking out. Strip it and attach a wire to each terminal on the part you set aside. Pull it back through so the pieces go back together and you have your wire/plug assembly.

Thanks irond head.. Yes I have the same cable but not the same plug... As you can see in my above pictures of the plug I have. I figured I must have had the wrong cable. Does honda make an adapter piece for my plug or something. Boats.net said that is the only type of plug. If everything else fails I will use meals approach and return the cable.

Edited by salmonite

Salmonite- did you buy the motor used? Almost looks like your charge system was an add-on. I only say that because where your current oval shaped receptacle exits the cowl, you can see into the inside and see wires, where usually it's water-tight. Looks like it should have had the square receptacle mounted in there and somebody mounted the oval one like my 5hp had. That would explain why they keep sending you the square end. Maybe I'm wrong, I just seem to remember my plug exiting the cowl differently, like it was made for that style plug.

The other oval end you have will work perfect, they just don't offer it already wired. Same result when your all done.

They don't make it easy and offer an adaptor which would make it so simple.

Good luck and let me know if you want me to expand on my other instructions. I might still have some of the cable I used if you want it.