Hook Cutters for Pike & Musky

Had a good time fishing this past week with family and friends. Was able to boat a couple nice fish but starting to get ready for musky season to open now. Just a quick reminder that if you don't already have a pair of hook cutters, think about picking some up before the season opens. This guy below swam away to thrill another angler someday because of it...... if not for those cutters and a jaw spreader this fish would have surely died.

sodus_pike_zpsb4d2c9c4.jpg

I know this practice is widely encouraged by all avid musky anglers and groups like our friends at NY Musky Inc. Chapt 69 and Niagara Musky Association (NMA). Correct me I'm wrong but I think the NMA might even offer a discount for a quality pair of NIPEX cutters.

Hope you all have a great memorial day and a special thank you goes out to all those who have served and are currently serving in our armed forces. :yes:  I know we have a lot of LOU members proudly carrying that recognition.

My Lowes currently has all Knipex products on clearance.  A pair of mini bolt cutters are currently $36+tax...a very good price!  I was using a pair of Lowes-brand mini bolt cutters but then switched to Knipex last year.  What a difference.  These cutters take little to no effort to cut any size hook.

Oh and yes, the NMA does carry these and sell them at their meetings/shows.

--Joe

I was hoping someone would suggest snapping turtle because that was kinda what I was thinking  when I have seen it.  Being in close in the weedbeds to spawn, I thought might make them an easier target.  I have no evidence - just a thought.

I am no stranger to snapping turtles.  When I was a teenager, My Grandfather and I would catch them and butcher them for a turtle dinner at the addison fish and game club.  My yuppy fishing friends still give me c-r-a-p about it like I am some hillbhilly.  Don't knock it till you try it.  I don't do it anymore but mostly because the state has messed with it to the point where I would be poaching now.  You catch them, and then you flush them with fresh water for the next 2 weeks and then you butcher them.  Flushing does wonders for the smell, shooting them with a bow or gun doesn't allow for flushing sequence.  Therefore - what is the point?

• 2 weeks later...
post-142867-13708247787757_thumb.jpg every year this turtle crawls 150 yards uphill from the canal to lay her eggs next to my pool. In about 90 days they hatch and head for the nearest body of water.(my pool) so I scoop them up and walk them down to the canal and let them go.

When I was a kid we found one crossing the road near  a major stream my little sister had a small broom in her hand and I  stuck it out toward the turtles mouth and he snapped the broom handle  right off....glad it wasn't one of my fingers... he was about the size of a medium wash tub ...