planer board tow line

Purchased a boat and the planer board line is crap.  The releases won't slide down as fast as they should.  I have never purchased any line and don't even know what line is on there.  Looking for a line to pull otter boards.  Do not care what color the line is just would like a good line.  Thanks

Hello Reeladdiction2- I just bought a couple spools of Cabela's braided dacron planer board line here at the Hamburg, Pa store ( I live in Macungie, only 45 min away).  Seems like decent stuff; orange high visibility.  I've read that the dacron will absorb water and will eventually rot but I only get out with planers 3 or 4 times a year and I can lay it out in the lawn to dry out before I roll it up. Don't have a planer mast. I have a 22' Grady Tournament and I just tie the stuff off to the forward cleat and it works fine.  I read on LOU about a heavier line offered by an outfit near Erie that sells all kinds of boards, lines etc. and called them a half dozen times and never was able to talk to anyone so I went ahead and got the next best.  This line was pretty cheap and it does the job. Good luck. Sakorifle.

I use Kittrick Amish Outfitters 500 lb spectra board line. It is super slick & clips slide easily. 300 feet is 32.95. I added a snubber between my board and the line due to the lack of stretch in the spectra. Have also seen some use weed wacker line. The spectra has lasted a whole season and it is going on two with no wear yet. I would have to replace the regular Dacron every year and trim some off during the year due to weak spots. Hope this helps.

Same recommendation as Voodoo and Tim B, 500lb spectra braid from Amish Outfiters, season three it is tough as nails and slick. Snubber is a good idea if your boards are quality. Check out the Azak boards from A.O. While you are at it.

Edited by ReelPower

Parachute cord is way to thick IMHO and releases will have a tough time sliding down. Use the Amish outfitter line and don't look back!

Shawn

Not if it is the ultralight Gortex impregnated stuff.....but I haven't seen it for quite awhile so now I'm not sure if it is still manufactured...couldn't find it online just now. So either way not an effective solution if not available....I mainly use outriggers and inline boards now so it's been awhile since I've messed with the stuff....

Edited by Sk8man