Lead core v. copper

Im new to useing dipsys and dont want to go out right now (ok my wife dosent want me spending money ) and buy a roller fishing pole set-up for running copper so my question to you all is this, Can i use lead core on a conventional eye pole and will it work for getting the dipsys down like copper would ? What is the differance between copper and lead and what are the advantages or disadvantages to useing one over the other. Any other tips would be appricated. Thanks !!

I would spend 35 on an okuma dipsey rod and go with wire - I like 7 strand Malin 40-45 bucks. Lots of good reels out there to set it up with. I like tekotas or 47 lc daiwas. Wire in my opinion is the best setups for running dipseys.

U don't need rollers or twilly tips for copper, lead core or wire. Get a couple okuma classic pro glt leadcore/copper rods and the appropriate sized reels for the lengths of copper/core. Penn, tekota, etc. something with a high retrieve rate for a reel helps when bringing in a long copper setup. I use shimano tdr rods with Magda pro 45lc spooled with 19 strand torpedo wire without any issues

A dipsey can run on mono, braid or wire. A special rod is necessary. Wire is the best choice, but then you need a roller tip or twillie tip on the rod to prevent grooving the eye. Wire is best because it can be used year round, whereas the other two can be problematic when fleas are heavy.

Copper and lead core won't damage the rod tip. Both are too soft. Both require a high capacity reel because they have a large diameter for fishing line. Line counters are not needed on these reels. Both lines are run down the chute or off planer boards to the side.

Dipseys give you depth off to the side of the boat determined by the setting. Downriggers give depth straigh down. Copper and leadcore give depth and travel through the water with an undulating motion, rather that steady. Using side planers in conjunction with leadcore can give you undulating depth way off to the side. Copper and planer boards give an undulating depth off to the side. Digitroll downriggers can jig the ball automatically while you troll, but it can be done manually with a normal DR.

All of these techniques are used to attempt to change the attraction of the lure and to make it different to the fish in what they see most comonly from fishermen. IMO they can also more accurately present a lure as a real bait fish to the gamefish targeted.

On water time, practice, experience, knowledge of gamefish habits and preferences, local fish hangouts, etc. etc.etc. are all necessary to be a good fisherman. Especially to be a consistently successful one. All of these different presentations don't work all of the time. And there are minor variations with each method that individual fishermen use at different times that make them more successful than average.