Otisco Lake Memorial Day Tiger Musky

Mostly muskies

I really dont target muskies at Otisco much because I cant seem to catch one unless I fish for walleyes (trolling).  I am open to all trolling strategies, but the ONLY way ive been able to land one trolling is real slow real deep with large walleye sized lures not muskie sized.  I have boxes of muskie lures and never caught on them at Otisco.  I tried yesterday with a bunch of baits for hours from 2.2 to 3.5 then settled in  for walleye late and then I catch a decent tiger closer to the middle of the lake than shore on a basically stopped bait.  Go figure...whats your opinion on minimum leader for tigers and max for walleye...its a real prob at otisco for me as the walleye are line shy and the tigers love my walleye offerings.

justin

I tried slowing down to about 2.2 to 2.4 for a while and used an 8 oz Jojo ball but was only puttung it down to 25 to 30 ft.  I was using small musky lures.  If I go there again before the water gets too warm I'll have to try large walley size lures, slow down a little more and use a flourocarbon leader.

Justin, were you using downriggers?

That muskie was off big boards, but i was running riggers all day with no luck. Last year I hooked 3 muskies with same spoon, but got cut off everytime. So I decided spoons were out with out something better that 20 lb leader. With the water being so clear its hard to catch a fish right below/behind the boat.

justin

I'm getting my NY State Public Vessel Inspection this morning at Mayville Lakeside Park & Launch.When we get done we will drive over to Findley Lake and see if there are still tiger muskies to be caught.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by mostlymuskies

The water level at Findley Lake was a good 3 ft high, launch was full of sticks and debrie.We only trolled for a couple hours, nothing going, did not mark much either.I have not fished there for a number of years,now I remember why,small areas of 20 to 30 ft of water,the remainder is a weed bowl.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by mostlymuskies

I've had plenty of action on Otisco by going full blown Wisconsin style, casting bucktails like Mepps and Blue Fox

over weed beds. I have caught them trolling, but casting is more productive and exciting watching the follows.

Bob