had boat running great.  kicker motor purring like a kitten.  everything all set headed to olcott.  started out in 150' water.  went to 210 to 80 fow. without a rod moving.  threw every color and combo at them. just followers.  2 hrs in kicker quits.  wont start.  my Honda 4-stroke  9.9.  done for good now.  start trolling with io.  running faster than I like 3.3 mph.  running a little funny.  made the decision to head in.  atleast on one good motor.  what a letdown

That sucks. do you have spare plugs for the kicker? I always pack at least 2 extra sets and tools to change them. can be difficult but worth it. I also always start each motor and get them running on the trailer with muffs. you just never know

Ouch...sorry to hear about the engine problems.  Hope you can get them fixed.  (When going fast, get the big sticks out there but make sure they're tuned properly - many trolled at 2 will roll & go belly-up at 3.3)

Good luck with the engines.

Tom B.

(LongLine)  

when I get the chance i'm changing plugs,inline filter, and need be carb.  ran both before going out. ran like champs.  kicker just quit running and would start again.  hope its something cheap and simple.  worse off getting skunked and it quits.  the only bright side was big motor got us in   lol :)

I would check your fuel hoses look for an air leak. Loss of pressure would cut it particularly when used as a kicker pushing a heavy boat. Dont worry about getting skunked it happens....

My poor mans fix to going too fast was a 5 gallon bucket dragged on one or both sides of a boat. They stack, you can stuff things in when not using and also use as a johnny on the spot. 😃

ya but with this rain aint working on it. only a 20' starcraft islander alumium.  running two electrics rigger and spoons.  haven't had much luck with anything else.  but I keep trying.  nothing on dipsy's or spin docs   or flashers and flies.  trying like mad. one day   haha

I am getting a new prop for my 221 Islander. The current one has a few dings in it. I am considering a 4 blade prop. better hole shots, will keep on plane at lower RPM and will knock off 1MPH at trolling speeds.

checked everything  fuel filter first, then lines, plugs, oil, and fired it up.  started like a champ.  ran ok.  thinking the carb got gummed up a bit. will clean it up.   did notice not throwing water like it should.  getting an imperiller asap.  cause I might be able to talk my dad into fishing for the day and not working Friday.  but I will keep the stator in mind.  oh the motor is an 01 to sorry and thanks for the info everyone

My new to me 1986 Merc 9.9 wasent running all that great. I fogged the hell out of it with SeaFoam. Purrs like a kitten now

My 50hp 2stroke (2008) would die when used with sea foam combination

Sent from my Lenovo P770 using Lake Ontario United mobile app